Decoder Mix and Match for KATO F7A & B Units

I have TCS decoders in my F7A and B units. The decoder in my A unit went so I sent it back to TCS. While it's been away I discovered that MRC makes a pretty simple drop in sound decoder for the KATO F series. I currently have no engines with sound so I'm really interested in hearing what it is like to have one. Will I run into any issues running two different types of decoders in an A&B config? should I spring for a second MRC for my B unit or is that just a waste of money?

Frankly, the MRC decoders have a particular bad reputation. I haven't used one, and just from their bad reputations as discussed not just on this forum, but several others, I wouldn't waste my money.

As to changing the B unit's decoder, I'd recommend that you leave that one in. As long as the decoder functions, and you can speed match it to whatever decoder you put in the A, leave it in. All decoders are interchangeable, except for mth's dcs. The DCC decoders follow the NMRA standards for communication, which ensures their compatibility with each other.

Well that's disappointing to hear. As you might have guessed I am still pretty new to the hobby so the idea of a drop decoder with sound that required no milling or modification to the body shell sounded pretty sweet to me.

Well that's disappointing to hear. As you might have guessed I am still pretty new to the hobby so the idea of a drop decoder with sound that required no milling or modification to the body shell sounded pretty sweet to me.

Besides not being a reliable decoder, this decoder requires some frame modifications in order to properly seat it in Kato F series diesels. A pure drop-in is a "misnomer".

Back