Decoder for Athearn MP15AC

log0008

Hello all,

I am going to pick up an athearn MP15AC in MKT colours, but i want to fit a decoder in it, i dont have the money for the sound version. What decoder would you recommend, i want a low cost one that still works good!

Thanks!

Athearn MP15C - decoder recommendation

Might I suggest this one. It completely replaces the current board in the loco, and is easy to install.

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_mobdec_dh165a0.php

Digitrax has several others that are even cheaper but they require soldering.

Having done a number of these, I would not even consider a DH165A0 due to the lack of direct support for the 1.5V bullbs.

Use a 9 pin plug in type(easiest, thats what its for) or if you want board replacement then a TCS A6X that has 1.5V support for example.

The light board may have an 8 pin socket.

Using the tabs for connections is in my opinion more painfull than soldering anyway.

take care ,,, ken

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate your reply Ken. I don't do diesels except for repairs at the LHS. Even when installing decoders, unless specified by the customers, I install 16V lamps in all the diesels. When installing those lower voltage lamps, I just install the proper resistor to lower the voltage.

Since he didn't specify the number of functions he would need, I gave him a decoder that would have enough functions he would want/need later. Otherwise I would have said something like a DH-123. That one is under $20 bucks. The DH-165 acts as a full replacement for the original circuit board, and is easier for me to install. There are no problems with room.

Back