Decoder acting erratic

T

tmiller

I have a Bachmann Spectrum steam engine, with a sound decoder installed. The install was done by a previous owner, so I do not know the brand of decoder. The engine stopped working a while ago. No sound, no motor. I tried to get the MFG of the decoder by reading it with JMRI, but it gave me an unknown manufacturer. Also in reading it, there are times that it simply shows, "No Locomotive Detected". I installed a diesel MRC decoder to see if it would fix the problem. Everything came to life. So, the decoder is bad, I assume.

So yesterday, just for tickles, I reinstalled the problem decoder, and it started to make noise, although very garbled. I did a factory reset, again using JMRI. Nothing changed. So thinking it might be a speaker problem, I switched back to the diesel decoder, using the original speaker. It sounds good with the diesel sounds. Speaker is good.

So my question is, is it possible for a decoder to be partially bad, with the garbled sound? Could it be acting erratic sometimes?

I am at the point of simply replacing it with a Soundtraxx decoder, but want to make sure this decoder is "fried" before I spend the $$$.

Thanks for any advice.

Ted

Yep I'm willing to bet the decoder is fried. Just a few months ago, I had a QSI Titan that happened to. The same thing as yours, erratic behavior and garbled sounds.

I replaced it with the Tsunami and its been perfect since then.

Michael,

Thanks for that confirmation. I just have never dealt with issue like that. I was getting so many different readings, it was crazy.

Yep, I am sold on Soundtraxx Tsunami, having installed them before. Heading for the LHS. Thanks.

Ted

I have difficulty with JMRI reliably reading decoders. I have decoders that program up just fine on a Digitrax programming track but JMRI can't even see. Wish I knew the secret.

I also have that problem. But the solution is a power booster for the programming track.

Tony's trains has one called PowerPax DCC Programming Booster.

http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/powerpax.htm
Yep, tried the booster route too. Tried different computers and laptops, still not consistent. I suppose it's just a matter of: ya get what ya pay for. JMRI is a free download and yeah, I did send in $40 as a donation. Maybe that wasn't enough.

I have difficulty with JMRI reliably reading decoders. I have decoders that program up just fine on a Digitrax programming track but JMRI can't even see. Wish I knew the secret.

Did you try a programming track booster?
Because there is two different types of boosters!;)
Most if not all MRC decoders have no readback ability.
Soundtraxx and Digitrax do, but you have to have a programming track booster to do it!
Some computer interfaces have a problem reading too.

Did you try a programming track booster?
Because there is two different types of boosters!;)
Most if not all MRC decoders have no readback ability.
Soundtraxx and Digitrax do, but you have to have a programming track booster to do it!
Some computer interfaces have a problem reading too.
I don't have any MRC decoders, just all Digitrax and Tsunami. I have tried the various programming track boosters and still no reliability. JMRI is just an immature product.

Hummm...
I have no isuess at all reading any Soundtraxx or Digitrax decoders.
I use JMRI all the time to do all my programming and running, and I do about 40 installs a week.
One thing I have found is that if you try to come off the programming ports on the PR3 it will give you erratic operations. I run mine off of the DCS200 programming track ports.

Hummm...
I use JMRI all the time to do all my programming and running, and I do about 40 installs a week.
One thing I have found is that if you try to come off the programming ports on the PR3 it will give you erratic operations. I run mine off of the DCS200 programming track ports.
Well this is certainly troubling me now. I run mine off the programming track as well. It's just two leads that are attached to the PR3 screw posts and the other ends are soldered to a piece of track. The track is clean and the screw posts on the PR3 are tight. Once again, locos that the JMRI can't even see program up just fine on the programming track that is connected to my DCS100. I've been using Digitrax now for well over a decade and have built decoders from a hand full of chips, resistors, caps and small circuit board. I have been programming them in all sorts of fashions as well. So it's not a matter of not being familiar with what I'm doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hummm...

I don't understand how and what you have connected. My guess is:
PC to PR3
PR3 LocoNet to DCS200 Command station/booster
DCS200 programming outs to programming track.

Is this correct?

If been thinking of adding a JMRI interface for Decoder CV recording and setup but have been confused as to what is really needed.
I have been using a Zephyr (DSC50 the old one) and can program & read back CVs on any decoder I have including Tsunamis.
It just can get tedious to read and record all the CV in the newer sound decoders.

So, it sounds like I need a PC interface and a Programming Booster. Correct?

It's just two leads that are attached to the PR3 screw posts

Try hooking you programming track to the command station (Set the JMRI preferences to your command station) to and see if that clears it up for you, It did for me I was having hit or miss operations with it coming off of the programming treminals of the PR3.
I have a PR3 connected to the DSC 200 threw loconet and running a Soundtraxx PTB-100 Programming Track booster off the DSC 200 then to a switch that alternates between run and program. That way I can set the engine on one section of track and go back and forth between program and run/test.

Waltr, you nailed it.

PC to PR3
PR3 LocoNet to DCS200 Command station/booster
DCS200 programming outs to programming track.

And rail a and b to programming track Via DPDT switch.

I use JMRI to Program and run/test a loco all in one quick operation.
Saves from having to switch back and forth with either the tracks or the controllers.

Yea Get a PR3 and a PTB-100 programming track booster.
I sell them for cheaper than anyone, shoot me a PM if you need one.

Thanks NIMT for the answer and all the help you've given everyone on this and the other forum.

I may not PM you for that but have been looking at the tiny wired LEDs you have.

I have a very good local train store that I do like to support.
I feel lucky to have them 20 minutes away and do buy there first.
They are DCC experts and have in stock every DCC part I've ever wanted and their prices are pretty good.
Plus they carry a lot of good HOn3 stuff.

Try hooking you programming track to the command station (Set the JMRI preferences to your command station) to and see if that clears it up for you, It did for me I was having hit or miss operations with it coming off of the programming treminals of the PR3.
I have a PR3 connected to the DSC 200 threw loconet and running a Soundtraxx PTB-100 Programming Track booster off the DSC 200 then to a switch that alternates between run and program. That way I can set the engine on one section of track and go back and forth between program and run/test.
Ok, I'll give that a shot. Right now, I'm adding signals to the layout. Starting on section 3 of 3 sections and installing a BDL168 right now. I'll work the problems out in the first section before moving on to the next BDL168 in section 2.

I use the PR-3 and the PTB-100 from Soundtraxx to program with. They are connected straight to the computer via a USB cable. The only time I have ever had a problem with this setup was when, for some reason, the computer "lost" the USB drivers.

After they were reinstalled, the programmer and JMRI have worked very well together. That has been at least 2 years ago. Using this setup, however, you must have a separate power supply to the PR-3, to make it a stand alone programmer. I use a wall wart, putting out 12V DC @ .5 Amps, and it functions perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back