decals , how difficult?

jim81147

I am thinking that I might be better of to buy some decals and undecorated units to get what I want rather than waiting for some things. Are decals any harder to put on a locomotive than they are on a building/structure? Any helpful tips? I am going to guess that microscale is probably my best bet for decals. I want some Canadian Pacific steam really bad...

For Canadian railroad decals your best bet would be
Blackcat decals.com
Their a Canadian company just google them.

For steam I wouldn't think it would be all that difficult. The biggest challenge to most decals on diesels is to get the decals to completely conform to and around the hood doors, rivets, door hinges etc. without leaving any air bubbles. With just doing the tender and cab on a steam loco, you really would only run into maybe a couple rows of rivets to deal with. With application of Micro-Sol (several times if necessary) and careful use of a brush to coax out air bubbles around said rivets, you shouldn't have any problem. If you've already run into any challenges of getting decals to conform to irregularities in your buildings, then you basically already have the necessary skills.

Late to the party but. . .

I'm a decal rookie too. Bought 21 undecorated cars at what I thought were a good prices over the last year or two. Custom painted them and started placing decals the other day. Between the price of the decals, cars and time involved, I'm inclined to think it's not worth it unless you enjoy working with VERY small detail. My eyes are pretty good for my age, but I find it tedious working in N gauge placing the decals and micro-parts (tank car details). I have a hard time seeing the very small decals on the sheet with a lighted magnifying glass. Decided I need to use a 'third' hand to hold the cars while I use tweezers and a brush to slide the decals.
I think in HO or larger it wouldn't be an issue but N gauge (for me) is 'interesting.' I think aspiring surgeons should be required to cut out micro decals and place them to see how steady their hands are an measure their dexterity LOL.

My biggest issue is 'reading' the smallest decals on the sheet. Even magnified I can't tell what some of them are. Decided to skip some as it's hard to see them on the cars anyway. They look like micro dots of paint.
My wife can't make them out either so it's not just me LOL.

I'd say go for it 'if' you're working in HO. The larger decals are no problem in N. Can handle those. I'd say try it. You'll find out if it's something you like to do on your first or second attempt. Micro-sol is good stuff - suggest getting some. PS - use a small exacto knife and sharp blades!

Back