Dead Digitrax Zephyr

ICG/SOU

HO & O (3-rail) trainman
Today I was in the process of laying track on the layout, when I reached a stopping point. I then started to hook up rope lights (for my lower level) to the same surge protector the TMCC (O layout) and Zephyr (for HO layout). A few minutes later I was smelling a electrical smell, and noticed that the readout on the Zephyr was off. The unit was not overly warm, and the only wires hooked up were the ones to the track, via alligator clips. As far as I can tell, nothing touched.

It's a bummer because the Zephyr is only 6 or 7 months old, with very mild use. If there was some sort of surge that killed it (though I don't think so), would it have killed the attached DT400 via UP5 panels as well (or any locos on the tracks)? I know that I won't be able to talk to Digitrax until Monday.

Thanks again.

It sounds to me like you overloaded the surge protector. See if there's a reset switch on it somewhere and try it. Also, plug the Zephyr into an independent outlet and see if it still works. As a matter of information, it's always a bad idea to have a DCC controller powered up when doing wiring unless you have some specific reason for doing so.

Well that stinks. The TMCC uses a 180 watt brick, but I keep that off unless I'm running the train (which wasn't running). Since the brick provides power to the TMCC, that is off, yet the Powermaster stays on (both are plugged into the same protector) and that's the only other stuff I have plugged in besides the Zephyr. I purposely don't plug the soldering iron in to that protector, since I know that anything that makes heat uses a lot of power (but wasn't even soldering at that time anyway).

I've had this surge protector on before with the TMCC and Zephyr on, and never had an issue before. After just now plugging the Zephyr into another outlet, it's still dead.

I guess I'm going to have the eat the repair costs or the cost of a new Zephyr then. I just hope it didn't hurt anything else, since there were 4 locos (one with sound) sitting on the track (track power off), and a DT400 isn't cheap to replace either.

It may be overkill, but each of my power supplies are on a dedicated circuit with surge protection. I may be anal, but that's the way I wired the train room. Actually the new house, the train room was supposed to be for my classic stereo equipment. The old Pioneer, Sansui, tubed Carvers and such. But, we are going to build a new out building for the trains and I will probably STILL use dedicated circuits.

I just don't have enough room for the layout in the house. My guess would be a harmonic back fed into the DCC box and toasted it. I use line conditioners on all electronics any more. Too many peaks and browns come through the lines that will fry most electronics. A $50 investment for each piece of equipment is cheap insurance in my book.

Bob

Going back today for warranty inspection/service.

Unfortunately, the room has a limited number of outlets and is all on the same circuit breaker. I'll buy a dedicated surge protector (with line conditioner) for each layout, so I can completely turn off one from the other. I don't know what else I can do without bringing an electrician to the house.

I got it back yesterday from Digitrax. I can't quite read the invoice (techspeak) but they replaced something in the command station itself and charged me $35. This time I'll be more careful.

Back