DCmaster Broadway Limited sound?

Anyone here have a DCmaster or use sound locos from Broadway Limited?

I have a DC master and wanted to use it to activate horn or bells on a non-broadway ltd loco.

JD

Will only work with BLI Blueline (DC sound, DCC ready) or their Paragon2 locos. Is brand specific, not able to be used on other brands. :(

QSI makes one that will work with most of their decoders in most locomotives equipped with them. You will need at the least, a sound controller for whatever brand decoder you are trying to control.

Will only work with BLI Blueline (DC sound, DCC ready) or their Paragon2 locos. Is brand specific, not able to be used on other brands. :(

That is a real BUMMER! Now I understand the REAL meaning in their name Broadway LIMITED.

I have a mixture of Digitrax & other DCC decoders and NEVER BEFORE had any problems such as this. The whole point of STANDARDS is so there is a good level (not 100% perfect) of inter-brand compatibility. Its a main reason DCC has been the success it is.

THIS is my FIRST and LAST Broadway ltd product! Had I known this before-hand I would never have wasted a thin or faux dime on anything that company markets, compatible or not!

Do they make their locos and rolling stock that ONLY run on BL track as well?

Anywho............. thanks guys for the enlightenment.....

That is a real BUMMER! Now I understand the REAL meaning in their name Broadway LIMITED.

I have a mixture of Digitrax & other DCC decoders and NEVER BEFORE had any problems such as this. The whole point of STANDARDS is so there is a good level (not 100% perfect) of inter-brand compatibility. Its a main reason DCC has been the success it is.

THIS is my FIRST and LAST Broadway ltd product! Had I known this before-hand I would never have wasted a thin or faux dime on anything that company markets, compatible or not!

Do they make their locos and rolling stock that ONLY run on BL track as well?

Anywho............. thanks guys for the enlightenment.....

You were asking about the DC Master, which is a device for operating the sounds of a DCC decoder on DC track. There is no standard for that, in fact, most DCC sound decoders don't have ANY option for operating their sounds on DC (you just get the prime mover and random noises).

The DCmaster SEEMED to be DCC code compatible. BLI Claimed it can even program DCC decoder CVs!

I just tried changing a 2digit ID and that did NOT even work either. Yes I did it step by step with the tiny instructions in hand as I tried it. All the DCmaster indicators acted as noted in the instructions, but it did NOT actually work.

All I wanted was a device to send DCC std bell and horn signals to a DCC decoder equipped unit. Sounds so simple. Horn, bell and light signals I thought were standardized?

Does a DCC signal generator device even exist, outside a complete DCC system controller?

JD

It would appear that you are running DCC/sound locos on a DC layout. The DCmaster was/is marketed by BLI to at least allow buyers of their brand, sound equipped locos, to be able to operate those locos on a DC layout. BLI locos also use their own brand of DCC/sound decoders which are fully compliant with NMRA standards and can be operated by all brands of DCC systems (also with all brands of DC as well). They do not market their decoders for retrofitting to other loco makes. There is nothing wrong with this

If you wish to stay with DC control, have a look at MRC's Tech 6 (2amp or 6amp) controllers which according to them, can control the other sounds available in DCC/sound decoders, or, change to a full DCC control system.

The DCmaster SEEMED to be DCC code compatible. BLI Claimed it can even program DCC decoder CVs!..

Yes, it says that it can program CV's, but it never says anything about controlling DCC locomotives other than BLI and PCM.

...All I wanted was a device to send DCC std bell and horn signals to a DCC decoder equipped unit. Sounds so simple...
Well, it's not, if running on DC. DC controls the motor by controlling the polarity and voltage of the applied power. DCC is constant voltage square wave AC, that sends signals to the decoder by varying the frequency of the square wave.

...Horn, bell and light signals I thought were standardized?..
They are, in DCC. You can not superimpose the DCC signal on DC, so if you want to send these signals to a loco running on DC you have to come up with some method of sending the signal other than DCC, and there is no standardized way of doing it.

...Does a DCC signal generator device even exist, outside a complete DCC system controller?..

MRC used to make a "BlackBox" (that's what they called it, "BlackBox"), but it has been discontinued. You might could find one somewhere though. It's basically a single address DCC command station. MRC also makes a Tech 6 throttle that can operate as a DC throttle or a limited DCC command station. Why not just get a true DCC command station though? If you still want to run DC locos, wire the command station and a DC throttle through a DPDT switch so you can select one or the other.

WoW. lots here to digest..........

I have a few DC ONLY locos, such as old time 4-4-0s and a few others. Almost all my N scale locos, both old, very old and fairly new are DCC. I even converted brill trollies (Bachamnn & Model Power) to Kato drive with DCC and even a pair of Plymouth ind switchers.

I operate a MIXED DC/DCC system. Parts of my system are completely isolated & DC, some parts are already DC/DCC switchable, and some lines (like main freight and main passenger lines) are DCC only..... Sounds more complicated than it actually is. I have well over 100 locos I converted to DCC, with only a few with sound.

I adapted some cars to sound, a few box cars and a couple REA cars that can be used with passenger trains. One old time baggage & one old time box car is also converted to DCC sound. I make my own power trucks from std trucks.

I have a dual DCC system, freight & passenger mainlines, each with its own Digitrax Zephyr Xtra controller. (most of my DCC decoders are Digitrax as well). Most diesels are not that great for sound, lack of good baffle, I have done a few larger diesels. I have a new Bachmann steamer and a DD40x that came sound equipped & sound quite good.

I find for most uses, sound cars work better for me than most locos, especially diesels and smaller locos. When I want to add sound to a train, I just place the sound car on a programming track and set the sound car ID to match whichever loco I am using. MY Digitrax sound decoders have built in default/generic selectable steam & diesel sounds.

JD

I packed the DCmaster back up and its ready to ship back.

I also ordered, replacing it with a Bachmann EZ controller.

I know its not a FULL featured unit, but it is real DCC. I plan to run it from a battery DC power source anyway.

Back