DCC, what to buy??

TomR

I want to start with a DCC system. I now have three locomotives ready.

What is the most reasonable system to start with?? I probably never want to control turnouts and I want at all costs to avoid having a computer. :)

What's the size of your layout? Also how much are you willing to spend?

For most cases the best starters are the NCE powercab and the Digitrax Zephyr extra.

I tried MRC express and identified what functionality i'm missing. after examining both Digitrax and NCE i went with NCE for number of reasons. your reasoning might differ. at the moment i do not see other option aside of those two for a serious system with capability to integrate with PC.

we had in-depth discussions of capabilities of each system. bunch of good points were brought up. look them up

What's the size of your layout? Also how much are you willing to spend?

For most cases the best starters are the NCE powercab and the Digitrax Zephyr extra.

My layout is only about 12 x 20.

I willing to spend what is necessary. I probably will never have a computer near the set, or never want to change turnouts by the controls. Just control the engines.

On advice here, as well as my own research, I went with the Zephyr for several reasons:

1) I have a smaller layout (9.5'x15.5').
2) I ran a maximum of 6 locomotives at one time (3 2 loco consists) without sound. I can run the same amount with sound. The Zephyr will handle up to 10 at one time.
3) Price was good, being the entry level system.
4) Digitrax is the primary DCC company of choice in this area, so there is plenty of local support.
5) It is compatible with other DCC stuff that I was interested in (creating blocks, transponding, signaling, etc.).

The Zephyr Xtra is a better product than the Zephyr. If the local folks are into Digitrax too, then that is a consideration.

I have little time on an NCE, but so far it seems to be a nice system.

I have the digitrax zephyr Xtra, and I like it alot. I use the PR3 to connect to my pc for JMRI, and now that I'm figuring that software out, it works really well. I also use all digitrax decoders.. IE DS64 (5 ea) for my turnouts, BDL168 for occupancy... It all works seamlessly together with the loconet. So for me my choice is Digitrax. I never used the other systems. I tried the digitrax and made it work for my setup

And Tankist is right, I went through this before. There is alot of info on the different systems here in the forum.

Thanks. I'm looking at the Zephyr plus now. I'd like at least two or three hand control units though. I'm reading through the manual.

I have both the MRC Prodigy Advance^2 and the Digitrax Zephy Xtra. The Digitrax is much less intuitive, but from what I can see, ultimately more versatile and expandable. For the time being, I'm using the MRC while I get reqcquainted with model railroading in general, and accustomed to DCC specifically. I've been out of the hobby for more years than some of you have been alive, and there's so much that has changed.

I thoroughly expect I will change back to the Digitrax when it comes time to expand the system.

My general impressions are that the MRC is easier to learn, and that's important for people like me. There are a couple operational advantages to the MRC system as well: it's easier to switch between engines, and the entire systems can be shut down without unplugging it. Those aren't earth-shaking differences, but speak a bit to the convenience of the system. Also, consisting on the MRC system is much easier, but no particular advantage to me.

.....and I want at all costs to avoid having a computer. :)

:D I never figured you as such a Luddite Tom! ;)

Mind me asking why not? JMRI runs under OSX & Linux as well as Micro$oft stuff in case it's a M$ PC you don't want btw......

Thanks. I'm looking at the Zephyr plus now. I'd like at least two or three hand control units though.

FWIW, I too have a Zephyr and am totally satisfied. As to additional throttles, I initially expanded it with one of their "baby" tethered throttles (the UT4) and a UP5 panel.

Then I "discovered" radio and added a DT400 + UR91 receiver - Radio (potentially duplex these days) is just so cool!..... My initial feeling was "I don't need radio, the layout's tiny", but once you've used it, you've got to have it IMHO.

Reason for mentioning radio is you may be better off going with a Radio Super Chief + additional throttles than the Zephyr. Are any of your additional operators kids? The DT series are powerful, but can be confusing - Maybe the UT4 (now also available with radio) would be a good choice if youngsters are involved.

I (personally) wouldn't touch MRC stuff with a pole - They haven't "opened" any of their specs and are not "truly" DCC - Sure, they'll interface with it, but the "general consensus" is it's between NCE & Digitrax.

Cheers,
Ian

My main complaint about the UT-4 was the tiny knobs and even tinier numbers for changing the loco number. LED or LCD display would be oh so nice.

I want to try wireless someday, but the way I've been throwing money at this hobby recently, it's gong to be a while.

Tom

Thanks Ian. I'm studying them all.

I'd like to keep computers out of my train stuff if possible. They are in my car, radios, and everything else. I'm sick of em. :)

I was thinking about the same thing with the throttles. HOWEVER, with jmri, I have this really neat feature called wi throttle. My android phone, and ipad both have these neat programs on them that connect wirelessly. I always have my phone with me. It's a droidx so the display is pretty large. I can change turnouts, and I can change locos right from the JMRI program on my android phone. Same with the ipad, and the screen is bigger.

I LOVE technology, so for me, all the computerized gizmos, and all the programming stuff is the fun part!!!!

I LOVE technology, so for me, all the computerized gizmos, and all the programming stuff is the fun part!!!!

I was always an early adopter of new technology (living in Silicon Valley). Recently, though, I find that as I approach 70, new things....especially complicated things....are getting more and more difficult to get up to speed on. I just went through the rigors of connecting/learning to use a 3D television. Not necessarily easy for an analog guy trying to survive in a digital world.

I have seen demonstrations of the iPad/iPhone software, and it does looks pretty interesting. I have both.

I'm curious as to what you mean by MRC stuff not being "truly" DCC.

I *knew*, the moment after I said that, someone would "comment". :)

I duly apologize, I should have said "doesn't work with JMRI". [Generally accepted as the best "lowest common denominator" app available for "DCC systems".]

My understanding (and I could be wrong?) is that MRC thought they could "outplay" the NMRA, and "thumbed their noses" at DCC.....

Time passed.....

At least here in the States, turns out Digitrax + NCE + NMRA + JMRI > MRC.....

IMHO :)

Cheers,
Ian

I *knew*, the moment after I said that, someone would "comment". :)

I duly apologize, I should have said "doesn't work with JMRI". [Generally accepted as the best "lowest common denominator" app available for "DCC systems".]

My understanding (and I could be wrong?) is that MRC thought they could "outplay" the NMRA, and "thumbed their noses" at DCC.....

Time passed.....

At least here in the States, turns out Digitrax + NCE + NMRA + JMRI > MRC.....

IMHO :)

Cheers,
Ian
You could be right, Ian. I'm sure not in a position to argue. It just seems to me that your position would be more widely held if MRC had thumbed their noses at DCC just because it was being promoted by the NMRA. It sounds more like just a bad decision where they misread the market. Simply because they're late to the party doesn't make them inferior in any meaningful way. MRC was certainly a major player in the DC market when it was the only game in town.

Interesting thing is that there are two shops I go to regularly. One sells only MRC systems, and the other sells only Digitrax. The other brands are simply not available unless I go mail order. Each store swears by the brand they sell, and will give you a dozen rasons why theirs is better than the other. Honestly, I haven't seen any particular problems with either one, and I really wish there was a better way to learn about these things than to rely on the jaded opinions of people with a vested interest in how you spend your money.

MRC is fully DCC. they simply didn't disclose their data bus (which is different with most manufacturers and not NMRA nor NEM regulates). which in turn they don't really have to do since they don't make Detectors and other equipment.

Tom
If you go with the Zephyr make sure you get the Extra. It's a few bucks more but well worth it. Some LHS' still have the original Zephyr but I'd wait for the Extra.

.... It sounds more like just a bad decision where they misread the market. Simply because they're late to the party doesn't make them inferior in any meaningful way. MRC was certainly a major player in the DC market when it was the only game in town.

Absolutely agree 100% - My understanding (and again, I could be wrong) was they believed their market dominance was enough to see their ideas adopted. They arrived late to the party, and are now "in compliance". However, their lack of openness (to work with JMRI) is to me, personally, a show stopper.

Even though Tom said he doesn't want a 'puter in his train room, he'll come round eventually :)

....and I really wish there was a better way to learn about these things than to rely on the jaded opinions of people with a vested interest in how you spend your money.

Indeed - But at least there's no vested interests here - Only opinions, and we know what they say about them..... ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Back