DCC system

That is a very subjective question and depends on what you want it for, how big your layout is and many other factors. Personally I like Digitrax but there are numerous other competing systems that are just as good.

I agree with the above.It all depends what you are trying to do.
If you tell us more we can give you some idea based on your needs.
Regards
Tony.

I can only go from personal experience.

The local club has the Digitrax system, the only reason they selected that one was at the time Digitrax was offering 30% off. Another local club is running the NCE system.

On my personal layout I have the MRC Prodigy system.

I had a fellow from the local club up to my place a couple of weekends ago and we were testing the track on my home layout. After using the MRC controller for a short period, he commented that if the club had conotrollers that were this easy, maybe more members would want to operate it.

Also the club using the NCE system, said they changed about a 1 1/2 years ago from a Digitrax system to the NCE because all the members found the controllers were easier to use.

NCE for me. I like the system better, it is a bit more user freindly. I also stick to NCE decoders as they dont use hex code for the programming of CV's, have a multitude of functions, and a very good support staff.
For a long time Digitrax had the edge on NCE with the wireless throttle, but once NCE released theirs I can't see why anyone would run anything else. Biased? Yep.

They all do precisely the same thing. Pick one.

People often lament the apparent/perceived complications of using Digitraxx systems, but that is what I started with, and have found no compelling reason to doubt my choice. My now four year old Super Empire Builder is 100% reliable, I never have to consult the manual (haven't for three or more years now), and I have yet to find a decoder that the 5 amp DB150 can't spank.

And yet...there are many other brands and models of those brands used across several continents and they all bring the same smiles.

So...pick one. Just make sure it will serve your needs for the foreseeable future.

Well, okay, one more criterion you should be aware of...what will be your power requirements? Will the typical 2-2.5 amps suffice in 2012? Maybe four or five will give you more growing room?

Darn, I thought of one last one....would you want computer interface so that you can use JMRI Decoder Pro and other software of that nature to keep records and to configure CV's quickly and efficiently for each engine? Which systems do NOT offer that capability?

Shoot! I thought of yet another! How about readback of current CV values?

-Crandell

The best advice that I can give you is to buy what your friends and/or local club has and are presumably at least moderately happy with.

My local club has a Digitrax system, and while not everybody is happy with it, you can't make everybody happy anyway all of the time.

That being said, a fairly high number of club members have digitrax systems.

I went initially with a Zephyr system, primarily because it came with everything (including power supply), and has read back capability on the addressing.

You can add your analog throttle to it to control multiple trains, if you want. Then you can expand from there.

While I hear good things about NCE, but in my opinion, the accessories for it, like the auxiliary power booster, are TOTALLY overpriced.

If you outgrow the Zephyr, you can use it as an auxiliary booster, or a reversing booster. That's what I'm doing, after I upgraded to a Super Chief after having the Zephyr for 2 years. I'm expanding my layout with more locos and sounds.

You can also plug in throttles in the back of the Zephyr, if you want handhelds later, and the UT4 is only $65 bucks.

Back