DCC Help - Kato Factory LokSound

kz9

Ok so I picked up a SD40-2 on feebay for $80. It has Factory LokSound/DCC.

Everything tests out great, even tho the seller said it did not work....:p

One thing I did notice is that the lighting (head and ditch) are dim. Too dim for me. I thought it may be the F9 dimmer function but that seems not to affect them at all.

I have download what I think is the manual for the decoder and read it may times, but I can't make sense of it because of CV32 index register ethier has to be 0,1,2, or 3.

Anyone have experience with this and can give me a no brainer walkthru on how to program them with the F9 dimming function, but brighter when running?

I have a Zepher right now connected to my test track on my bench, but I can also connect my DT402D remote if it makes things easier....

I don't have any experience with the loksound decoders. But do you have JMRI Decoder Pro?

If so just try that, much easier to program, you don't even have to know the CV numbers. There is a lighting section that you can change all these settings.

kz9, I'll try to help you out; I have the SD40-2 unit that has a dealer installed ESU decoder that I'm currently trying to figure out :)

First things first, if you have factory installed LokSound make sure you get the right manual - you should be looking at the Loksound V4.0 manual.

The way I read the steps for configuration is as follows (start on page 63):
- set CV31 to 16
- set CV32 to 0
- set CV259 to 1 - this will give you a "dimmable headlight"
- set CV262 to 31 - this will give you maximum brightness for your headlight
- set CV263 to 128 - this will tell the decoder LEDs are being used

Now there is also a "global" dimmer parameter, but I can't seem to find it without printing out the entire manual. Hopefully there will be another user here that can offer advice as well.

One thing that I will be interested in, however, is what the colour value of your lights are once you get them to your liking in terms of brightness. I did some investigating last night at my local club and on my SD40-2 my head and rear lights are a solid orange in colour - not even the slightest bit of white; hopefully you have a better experience. Good luck!

Back