DCC/DC Running Issues

Does your note apply only to powered switches or to uncovered switches as well? If you remove the power pack connection to the track, how can you check the voltage?
Hi You are measuring resistance here not voltage. Removing the power pack allows you to measure very small to very large resistances, without the power pack in the circuit path, while you change your switch positions. What may be an issue is (without knowing your layout), is you may have a "missing" insulator somewhere in your layout. This is most likely in one of the interior point rails. So, when you change a switch state, you may create a short, or if the point rails are not quite in contact (a problem I find in PECO switches constantly) then you can create an intermittent short. It does not matter if the switch is powered- a little piece of dirt can prevent the point rails from connecting. Sorry, I do not understand "uncovered" switch in your question.
I change from DC to DCC several years ago, and all I have to do is insulate the interior point rails, and provide power feeds every 3 or 4 feet. DCC takes care of the need for blocks, for example, and the track switches take care of the power routing without needing extra contacts. I do modify PECO and Atlas switches for greater reliability. PECO absolutely requires this, Atlas not really needed, but if I am soldering small wires, I do a batch at a time. Write back if you have more questions.

Back