Dave's Layout v. 4.0

Chris, Jeff, Gary; thanks for the comments!

I made some cat tails by brushing a small dab of brown paint on a natural brush bristle, then planting it along the water-on the old layout.

Since Jeff brought it up I think I will embellish my waters edge with some of those, too!

Time for a new update, have been bogged down with the water feature, however made some headway also added a few trees...

IMG_2765.JPG

new trees, also see cat-tails on bottom left

Got this hillside done, will be doing some more detailing by the Sandstone quarry to do yet:

Layout 1.JPG

here is my new cattails, they are a little whimsical but I will keep them, maybe add more stems...

layout 2.JPG

on the layout:

layout 3.JPG

THANKS for looking, add a comment if you like

Dave LASM

Time for a new update, have been bogged down with the water feature, however made some headway also added a few trees...

View attachment 153770

new trees, also see cat-tails on bottom left

Got this hillside done, will be doing some more detailing by the Sandstone quarry to do yet:

View attachment 153771

here is my new cattails, they are a little whimsical but I will keep them, maybe add more stems...

View attachment 153772

on the layout:

View attachment 153774

THANKS for looking, add a comment if you like

Dave LASM
Love the cat tails.

I am figuring out how to get some more buildings into the Wyoming Depot part of the plan I located this old photograph which shows a partial angle with the old Depot and also a few buildings across the main rod (which was US Highway 61 while I was growing up).

Photo showing the area during the time period:

View attachment 122914

The depot, crex warehouse buildings are done and appear in a previous post just above. The buildings right across the street, I suppose those could go against the wall if the depot was placed fairly closely to the wall.

This is located at the bottom of the layout.

I am thinking it would look something like this:

View attachment 122915

It would be nice to figure this out in advance. I wonder how hard it would be to draw/paint them in?

Dave
If you want a holding spot, and approximate size,consider cardboard from say cereal boxes,which can be lifted on and off easily, thus they help you plan but do no t sit on the layout looking gross except when evaluating

I was able to back up enough to get the pic showing almost the whole layout, with painted fascia and electrical work all done, should be glueing down the final track at least by the end of Saturday then finally get to the track cleanup and then run trains

View attachment 147744

There is a lift out section that goes where the closet door is, it is current "lifted out" is on the floor by the basket on the bottom left

Dave LASM
Comparing this from the initial table, I like the contours, the hilly area to the left has built up well,I like the sandstone colours,and the go old choice of greens over the soil colour. I do not know if you have found this but I enjoy working from real photos as I believe it makes it easier to end up with a more realistic look, the colouring of buildings is good too, there’s an impression of being in keeping with the age. Nice work.

Thanks Curt, Sherrel; I made some progress on scenery enough playing with trains for now, posted pics in the Coffee shop. Will get some more done today and have Monday off so looking forward to more headway

View attachment 150453

THANKS for looking!!

Dave LASM
You are missing an essential transparent black, imagine where rain would fall and run,and carry dirt,but when you get around to it be careful not to over do it, I personally used very thinned black to see what will happen, as it dries the colour fades but I get an impression of the result, you may likely have already got to this stage as I look at these earlier pictures, but everything is going in the right direction. I especially like the road way and the larger stones to the side exactly as it happens, the less traffic the more greenery.

Jerry, Lloyd, Thanks for the Kudos, will post a couple update pics, mostly been painting some details this last week:

IMG_2785.JPG

I love this tractor, it is a Woodland Scenics kit, recently touched up the paint

IMG_2786.JPG

Here are some roots I will be making into trees, probably this weekend get 1 or 2 planted

IMG_2790.JPG

(above) wife created this scene, looks like I need a kritter poking its head out of the foundation hole. On the to do list is also decals going on the red Crex warehouse bldgs in the background

IMG_2809r.JPG

Last, am working on these guys. Still a ways to go with them as well. Also, getting some paint on the coal elevators from Walthers

THANKS for looking!! Dave LASM

I
Jerry, Lloyd, Thanks for the Kudos, will post a couple update pics, mostly been painting some details this last week:

View attachment 155215

I love this tractor, it is a Woodland Scenics kit, recently touched up the paint

View attachment 155216

Here are some roots I will be making into trees, probably this weekend get 1 or 2 planted

View attachment 155217

(above) wife created this scene, looks like I need a kritter poking its head out of the foundation hole. On the to do list is also decals going on the red Crex warehouse bldgs in the background

View attachment 155218

Last, am working on these guys. Still a ways to go with them as well. Also, getting some paint on the coal elevators from Walthers

THANKS for looking!! Dave LASM
love watching your work, shows how far I still have to go.

Back