Dash 8 questions

kylewoody

Hey guys -

I've got a couple questions. I just got my Bachmann Spectrum dash 8 loco (N scale). I knew it had Rapido style couplers, but is it easy to change them out to Magne-Matics?

As well - the wheels appear to be out of gauge. It runs fine over my Atlas 20* crossover, however the flanges are two narrow appearantly, and the loco lifts up and derails on my Micro-Engineering turnouts.

How can I fix this? Obviously it's not the turnouts, as all of my other stuff works fine (plus I've heard the spectrum dash 8's wheels are sometimes out of gauge). I kind of looked at the trucks and wheels on the loco, and it seems impossible to make any adjustments.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kyle

Unless there's been a change, there are 2 options for Bachmann Dash 8's. The first is simply a coupler change...it's a fairly easy install, but still uses the weak(at least in my opinion) plastic snap on coupler pocket. The second option is the conversion that contains the new pilot. I prefer this one because it gets rid of the open pilot, and it also puts the couplers at the correct height (I've found the Dash 8's seem to be low). It also uses the standard 1015/1016 MT coupler. The downside is the new pilot is undecorated, so you need to paint.....if your paint scheme uses an easy to match color like black or silver, it's no big deal to paint the conversion by hand, otherwise it can be hard to match. Also, you need to cut the old coupler pockets off the trucks, which isn't hard, but makes it pretty tough to change your mind and go back to the original setup. Also, there are 2 different Pilot conversions....one for the 8-40C, and one for the 8-40 CW. Make sure you get the right one
The wheel guage problem seems to be standard Bachmann....my 8-40's and SD45's all had the problem. The wheels DO slide. The gears have hollow shafts and the wheels have axles that slide inside the shafts. It's obviously a snug fit, but they can be slid in or out.....you just need a guage to get the right fit.Also, make your adjustments on the side away from the gear (the gears are offset to one side).. The problem stems from the fact that Bachmanns track isn't the same as everyone elses......mine is all over-guage.....and of course Bachmann sets their wheels to run on THEIR track

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks Dave! How do I slide the wheels, to get the correct gauge? Take off the truck and disassemble? Or just keep everything together and push with some needlenose?

Kyle

Kyle, if you need to go narrower, I'd suggest taking off the snap-on frame that covers the wheels and squeezing the wheels together with your fingers. You don't really need to remove the whole truck. If you need to go wider, you can usually slide a thin screwdriver between the wheel and the truck/gear housing and pry gently.

Back