Custom Decals

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Forum:

I am looking for a supplier of customer decals. I would like to provide them a basic drawing of my model railroad's logo and have them do custom decals to "patch" rolling stock and loco's.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

If you want short run custom decals try Bedlamcreations.com Josh makes the best custom waterslide decals around. I used his decals for years on replicas from z-g scales. Tell him Brad from Promotional Trucks referred you. Brad

Greg - I have had pretty good success making my own custom decals using GIMP free open source photo editing software and Testors decal paper.

I print them on our regular old HP inkjet printer, let them dry, then seal them with Krylon acrylic satin clear. Just don't apply too much clear, as the decals will not conform to small details as well.

The paper comes in clear or white. If your artwork has any white in it at all you will have to use the white paper, as the inkjet obviously doesn't print white.

Here are a couple of shots of the decals as printed and applied on a locomotive. I put the graffiti on a couple of freight cars.

preview_decals0.jpg

preview_p10007810.jpg

If you want short run custom decals try Bedlamcreations.com Josh makes the best custom waterslide decals around. I used his decals for years on replicas from z-g scales. Tell him Brad from Promotional Trucks referred you. Brad

Like that his are water slide decals - that is a big plus for me.

Greg - I have had pretty good success making my own custom decals using GIMP free open source photo editing software and Testors decal paper.

I print them on our regular old HP inkjet printer, let them dry, then seal them with Krylon acrylic satin clear. Just don't apply too much clear, as the decals will not conform to small details as well.

The paper comes in clear or white. If your artwork has any white in it at all you will have to use the white paper, as the inkjet obviously doesn't print white.

Here are a couple of shots of the decals as printed and applied on a locomotive. I put the graffiti on a couple of freight cars.

preview_decals0.jpg

preview_p10007810.jpg

They came out looking great CMMR! How hard was it to do and how available is the Transfer Parer to do it? Also, can this Transfer Paper be used in any printer out of the box?

Tony - you can get Testors decal paper at just about any hobby shop.

You can print on it using any inkjet printer. The paper comes with instructions, but basically you print to it just like you would print any normal document.

The only drawback is that it only comes in 5.5" X 8.5" sheets. I usually do a test print on a regular piece of paper, then tape the decal paper over top of the test image and run it through that way.

Here is a link...

http://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors/tools/decals/

Reason I went with Bedlamcreations is that you do NOT have to apply clear coat before using. Trim decal from sheet, dip in lukewarm water, place on plastic box for 30 seconds, pick up, slide in place on item to be decayed, use edge of q-tip to absorb excess water. Let dry a bit, drop of solvaset and leave it alone till completely dry. Then dull or gloss coat to your hearts content. Ask Josh for some of his replica vehicle pictures. I have some if you would like to see how they look on trains or vehicles. Brad

Brad,

If you some pictures that would be great to see.

Just been looking at the Testors Systems and there doesn't seem to be too many "GOOD" words about it. Most of the descriptions for that product include deceptive, or similar, and are entitled as "Bait and Switch". That kinda sounds all too familiar to me.

Buy a System to get "sucked in" then have to spend more to make the advertised system work. That isn't for me what so ever.

Tony - I can only speak to my own experience with the Testors paper, but I have never had a problem with it.

I only use their paper, I don't bother with all the other stuff they have listed on their website.

I think the people that have bad results don't take the time to follow directions and let the ink and clear coats dry properly.

Just my two cents worth.....

CMMR,

I was looking at their Decal Systems kits - it is they they seem to have caused a lot of complaint etc from people.

I am not, or wasn't intending to, take issue with their decal paper - how could I, I have never used it :)

I am very happy to try it and see how I go using it, especially if I can get results that are like or similar to the end results that you have achieved. The operative part of that is "...how I go using it..." :)

Custom waterslide decals

Here are some pictures of decals from bedlam creations. Please note the esso tanker decals were installed in 2004 and just starting to peel a bit. All the vehicle pictures were of rejected vehicles i would not send to clients due to small imperfections in installation, finger smudges, crimps, etc.. I pulled out of production line so client would not get inferior products. Decals were not the issue.
Some of these jobs i have on display are almost 15 years old. Trucks are all ho scale. Trains are my personal n-scale. Have some more pictures for next email. Brad

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 176
Here are the esso pictures. Bus was about 8" long. Check out the ruler. Decal was one piece for entire side. Shading from white to solid black. Brad

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 193
The ef and rejuvenol trucks were clients of mine from long island where i used to live. The loco's was custom painted by tr customs in ocala, fl. By jim ferrara who also installed the custom decals for me. Jim's a fantastic n scale painter. Brad

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 178
Tony,

I have used both Micro Mark and Testors paper in the past with no issues. I do seal my decals with a decal sealer to prevent tearing. Its goes on with a brush and while it is thick, it evaporates very fast and does a good job of sealing. I was like you at first, where I wasn't sure I wanted to give it a go, but it's allowed me to print some very good decals. Here are a few links of Micro model rockets I built. I would not hesitate to do custom ones for MRR. Give it a go and if you don't like it, then you are out only a few bucks for a sheet of decal paper. I do recommend using 600dpi in your graphics program...I use PaintShop Pro, have been for years and did the ones below with it. Pics are not that great, but you can read every letter with a magnifying glass.

Pic1 Pic2 Pic3 Pic4

I've only used Testors paper, but it's worked well for me. The biggest trick to it is getting the sealer spray right. The MV logos and the website/twitter stuff on these locos was printed with Testors and you can see they went on as well as all the stripes and numbers from microscale.

MV90comp-01.jpg
MV60All.jpg

Tony, I use their decal paper as well. I have never had a problem. Just print anything like you were printing on regular paper. Let the ink dry for a few minutes and spray with clear coating, to seal the ink. Only reason you have to seal it is because the ink will dissolve in the water , if you don't seal it. I use the paper all the time to print out signs for my structures. Works great for getting into all the nooks and crannies, to make the decal look like it is painted on. Hard to do that , printing on paper. Ron

Back