Curve Turnout Radius

Kickout

Can anyone tell me what the radius of a Peco ST-245 Dbl Curve LH turnout is? Could I use this on an 18” radius track section?

I googled the question and one of the hits was from a well-known retailer, Tony's Trains. Note that I, personally, would NOT call these 'gentle' curves. They may have been yesteryear with smaller layouts and earlier rolling stock, but these days, with more realism, the importers specify somewhat larger radius curves for longer passenger cars, autoracks, that kind of thing:

The Peco ST-245 is a Setrack Code 100 Left Hand Curved Turnout designed for HO Scale model railroads. Let’s explore its specifications:

In terms of curvature, the Peco ST-245 corresponds to a nominally second radius curve. The inner road consists of all 2nd radius, diverging by 33.75 degrees, equivalent to 1 x ST-225 plus 1 x ST-227. The outer road is equivalent to an ST-203 short straight followed by an ST-225, diverging by 22.5 degrees 2.

So, if you’re planning your layout, keep in mind that the Peco ST-245 provides a gentle curve for your model trains! 🚂🌟

Back