Credit Valley Railway in N Scale 1880-1900

Jim, what happened was, in July I moved my shop to a larger location.

Since then I was busier and when I would get home at night, I would just want to sit and do nothing. Both the Computer side and Model Rail side increased.

Ok, January is 3/4 finished... What have I accomplished?

1. Re-Align track at Cataract (smaller than minimum radius curve found, radius also kinked). Completed.

2. Three decoders installed. Check.

So now I am left with:

2. Put decoders in 6 locomotives.

3. Two locomoives to bash into one.

4. Check couplers and weight on 35 pieces of rolling stock (and counting).

5. An 18cm high by 62cm long trestle to build.

6. About 34 structures to build (so far). (added 4 new strucres to the pile)

7. Scenery to do on a 5.3sq metre layout.

Hi Will,
Sorry to say this is the first time I've really taken a look at what your doing and see we are both working on similiar layout designs in the same time period basically so it's facinating to see what your doing and would be greate to share notes. Your work is looking pretty good so far, your well ahead of me but I'm starting to make some progress too. We just have to keep at it. I like your web site too to get a better idea of what your doing.

Being that I'm in HO I require twice the area you do so there's more table/bench work to do as well as a lot more track to lay.

What do you have planned for turntables? The pit type for the smaller earlier Loco's are nice but I think I'm just going to use Atlas surface mount to simplify things plus I may put in three of them but two for sure.

Talk with you later,

David

David
Thank you very much.
Yes, let's share notes.

As for turntables, I am using the Peco ones. As shown below.
CVR-L097.jpg

CVR-L102.jpg

Hi Will,
Thanks for the shots of your turntables, those are very nice alright. I've seen some like that in HO too but as I want more of a Backwoods feel to my layout I've been looking for something more like a Gallows turntable which has a flat wood type of top to it and trhe Atlas ones lend themselves to that very well. The only thing I wish Atlas offered was an HO turntrable with even code 83 rail rather than just code 100 as it would much easier to match up to as I'm using code 70 & 55 and too large will look way out of place.
Also, if Atlas will surfice it will help for me to keep cost down.

The Atlas lend themselves to easy adaptation of adding a gallows type of top section with suspension cales for similuated suppoort of the track and table and everything is prewired except for the reversing polarity switch and that's simple enough to do with a double pole/double throw with the center off position. Actually there are a couple of styles of gallows I can build too to give some variation.

It's really a shame that over the last ten years so many of the manufacturers like MDC/Roundhouse went under or sold out as I liked their car kits and Loco kits a lot. I did manage to pick-up an MDC 4-4-0 but it has a more modern boiler to it but I also have two others that are of the old style and even a third Rivarossi from ebay but it was DOA and no drive shaft between the tender and engine.

I noticed in your pictures you have something at the end of each of the spurs that is kind of redish in color, what are those, power connectors?

If your not familiar with soldering I can certainly guide you through how to do it along with letting you know what you need to buy. It's really pretty easy too.

Hopping to make some more porogress on my layout so I have more to show and opperate. The little folk are getting restless too.

Talk with you later,

Hi Will,
I noticed in your pictures you have something at the end of each of the spurs that is kind of redish in color, what are those, power connectors?

Actually those are just red push pins, they are just there because they are fast to install. I pushed them in so we could test the track and not have cars rolling off the track. I am slowly replacing them with a pile of ties filled with ballast.

I will update the photos when they are converted.

Thanks Chip and Jim.

Like I said I am "Proto-lancing" the layout, I am not one for strict prototype.
The 4-4-0, 2-6-0 and 2-8-0 are "good enough" for me. :D

I just like the pioneer era. Wagons and telegraph lines...

I just wished someone would do a 4-6-0 in N scale.

Fortunately the cars for that era are very simple and made of wood, so scratchbuilding them shouldn't be that hard.

The vast majority of the cars would be 28/30 and 34 ft cars with a few 36 ft cars.

If you wanted to get into resin casting, they would be simple to cast. One 34 ft underframe could do boxcars, reefers, gons, flatcars, tank cars and stockcars. I have seen people do N scale truss rod underframes using the eye end of needles as the queen posts. Reefers are good base cars because you can replace or remove the hatches and then put a freight door over the reefer door. At least a third of the boxcar doors opened to the left (very common on PRR and B&O cars) and many cars had the 1900 equivalent of plug doors (very common on PRR cars).

Reefers had all sorts of hatch arrangements. Tiffany cars had the hatches down the middle of the car, Gould and others had hatches in the center at the ends, and Zimmerman has hatches in the ends.

There is an "EarlyRail" Yahoo group.

Good luck, its a fascinating era.

Back