Creating realistic looking rock faces?

This is using Apple Barrel paints on pink foam used a stanley knife and wire brush

Attachments

• DSC_0289.JPG
    DSC_0289.JPG
    539.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0291.JPG
    DSC_0291.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 62
I have played with this trialling several options, and usual ok with the results regardless of the materials
cork makes a great rock face, but matching and footing the bill can be jaw dropping
IMG_9816.jpeg

some real pebbles for extra detail

I moxed and matched with plastercast, then used the good stuff for closer ups
IMG_7547.jpeg

foam of different description (some more flammable than others, how do I know this? One techniques is to ‘fire’ it without setting fire and letting out toxic fumes - all windows open and a fire extinguisher close to hand - seriously
i like greys with a terracotta beige black and white mix, the earlier black white red yellow blue can achieve all colours in theory but I find the blue can be a pig,black for darker and shadows, white for highlights and fades blue yellow red any brown within reason,
IMG_0788.jpeg

plaster case draped over foam with enough horizontal for soil capture and grass growth and the odd shrub,

IMG_3513.jpeg

to date this form cliff face is my favourite, a knife ‘ saw for the vertical and horizontal cuts, b,ask into the crevices, sone of the beige is the foam poking through and a white highlight for salt bought out by the damp
IMG_1338.jpeg

sone deeper crevices for interest and possibly wildlife
IMG_1666.jpeg

cork tiles snapped
then weathered
IMG_1680.jpeg

IMG_0013.jpeg

this cheap packing foam had a rock like look
And taking advantage for other models..just because I can
IMG_9813.jpeg

real sand by the way
regardless find a nice reference picture,greys tend to blend nest, I like red sand stone but that would mean more pictures…grins

Attachments

• IMG_8497.jpeg
    IMG_8497.jpeg
    642.8 KB · Views: 55

Back