crap building first

gregc

Apprentice Modeler
i'll need some mining structures, a much smaller version of the one in the photo, but one that is built onto the slope of the hill. i expect i'll have to scratchbuild it, but it doesn't look that complicated. however, in order to figure out what i really want, i think it makes sense to quickly slap something together with cardboard or balsa to see how it fits.

is this commonly done, and if so, what's the best approach?

i'll be cutting out some buildings out of foam and painting it to be buildings , until i get to do proper ones. i did plenty cardboard structures before so i think foam will be even faster.

Yes, making a mock-up out of cardboard or foam is commonly done and a good idea. You'll be able to see how much space you really have and you can play with different configurations. It's a lot easier than tyring to get the "real" model to fit a space that's just a bit too small or the wrong shape.

Cardboard from breakfast cereal boxes and saltine cracker boxes is what I've used. I turn the inside of the box sheets to face out and draw windows or doors or whatever to get the feel for what it may look like. Or you can leave the printed side facing out and maybe play Where's Waldo? while deciding what to do next. :D Masking tape or Scotch tape to hold it together.

does the crap structure ever morph into the final structure by slowly adding detail?

and how good is cardboard for scratch building final structures?

does the crap structure ever morph into the final structure by slowly adding detail?

and how good is cardboard for scratch building final structures?

I've never bothered to bring one to a finished level. Only use them as a mock up to get a feel for what will work.

Single ply cardboard like from cereal boxes or sometimes known as shirt cardboard absorbs moisture and dampness pretty readily so unless it is sealed all around it curls over time. Cardstock that is finished one side like a cereal or cracker box will curl even worse. With enough strip wood reinforcment and proper sealing a successful structure can be had from single ply cardstock. One particular type that was used back in the old days is Bristol board, still available at art & craft stores. It is quite a bit better than the more common boxes.

Back