CR Harrisburg Line

quakers1

The Blue Man
Hello everyone. I'm sure you've read about my CR Harrisburg Line that is in the planning stages in my thread "Plans for Next Layout". I have decided to make a new thread for the layout. Now, it's time to get serious with this layout. I have found out that it would not be a good idea to build the layout in HO so I have decided to do it in N. I will be able to get the space necessary to do the Harrisburg Line in N. I have found a couple of space combinations that are feasible for me. These are 11x22, and 12x23.

Now, here are some general info on the layout.

Name: Conrail Harrisburg Line
Scale: N (1:160)
Era: Late 1990s
Prototype: Conrail
Theme: The Conrail Harrisburg Line

I am only modeling the Harrisburg-Reading segment of the Harrisburg Line. I am still deciding on standards such as the minimum turn radius, layout height, turnouts, and all that stuff.

-Skylar

Sounds good! I will be interested in checking out the progress. I am from the area and have seen trains running the line!

Glad you are interested. Just as a comment, your website has a great selection of Conrail in N scale. I will probably by some stuff from you in the future when my layout nears completion. I will not hesitate to post photos when I begin the actual construction. And one more thng, modeltrainstuff. Do you know of any good online info on the Harrisburg Line that is dated around 1997(stuff like timetables and train schedules).

Catch ya later,

-Skylar

Bad News

Well, I did some calculations on how much it would cost me to build the Harrisburg Line. Sadly, it turned out that I don't have enough money to build it. I am looking into a much smaller layout. And, I also found out other things. I do not have any experience with N. So, I found it it would not be a good idea at all to try and build a large layout in a scale I am unfamiliar with using. I also had second thoughts about building a large layout. I am a younger guy, so I have school and all that to worry about, which gives me less time to fool with trains. So a smaller layout would be more ideal for a guy like me. I hope I am not making all of you think that I am getting off at the station that many folks (including myself) know as "Analysis Paralysis". I have found out that the Harrisburg Line is not right for me. I am a quite skilled modeler, but I am not ready to take on such a large layout. And, I like smaller layouts better for some reason. I have plans to model a line that is only 10 miles long, handles some really long trains, is not in the continental US(but it is still in the US), and is off the chain as far as scenery.:cool: I'm not going to say what it is until I actually get a track plan ready. So if you wanna try and guess, go ahead. But, I bet you will never guess it.;) Nah, it's easy to guess.

-Skylar

Well I can think of 2 places, Hawaii and The florida keys (I don't know if thats continental US or not, but it would make some awesome scenery)

Well, you had a good guess. Both the areas you mentioned have awesome scenery, but you were a little ways off. I am not completely sure that I will model the line I am thinking of. I have a few other ideas, too.

-quakers1

Back