Correct mars light color and operation? (specifically early CNW F7)

PPPPPP42

I picked up a used Athearn Genesis F7 AB set in the earlier CNW colors (not the later mostly yellow scheme). The previous owner had added DCC and led headlights and its currently set up with a double light (cover making it look like an over under light) white LED on the lower light and the upper light is a red LED currently programmed to slowly strobe in and out to mimic a mars light I assume (not direction specific).

What would the correct light configuration (all the lights overall too), color and operation (forward, reverse ect.) be for this setup?

The red LED seems to be fairly well glued in place so I am tempted to just reprogram it to operate solid red in reverse or emergency stop or something that makes more sense if I can't somehow tear it out and change its color (possibly bi color led's I heard about if that would be correct).
If I do get the LED out I may need a new upper headlight lens for that Highliner F7 shell though even that seems permanently glued in, not really sure. I intend to change it to a plugin connection anyways since its irritating to have the wires permanently attached to both the shell cover and the board.

I looked up photos of C&NW F7's. Most, set up for suburban commuter service, appeared to have the upper "headlight" or Mars light position replaced by a round bell! I can't recall if they rang that when I rode those trains in the late '50's. The only reason I can think of for doing that was they had so few miles between station stops, they would just hit the bell when coming into Evanston, Willmette, etc. I did locate one photo of a diesel cab unit that may have a red lens in the upper light. I'm also not sure exactly how they were used. IIRC, some railroads had a dual system in the upper light: For normal forward running, they used white light working in a figure eight pattern. When in reverse, the red light was turned on. I don't know whether it was run with the Mars beam, or just solid red. ConCor's Post-War Pioneer Zephyr (DC only version) has a white Mars light directly on top of the headlight,both of which come on as the train starts forward. In reverse, the Mars light turns solid red, and the headlight goes out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back