Cork or WS black rubber roadbed?

My experience with the foam road bed was similar to Rotor's. Though it was fairly easy to install, I thought it was too "squishy". On my current layout I used cork road bed. It seems to be a more stable platform than foam.

I know you said something about tacking or nailing the track to the roadbed in another thread. If you use foam, make sure you don't nail too deep or you will distort the ties.

I agree with the WS "squishy" description. It does not work well for applications that get handled a lot (like portable/modular layouts) and if you nail your track. If your layout is permanent, and you are going to glue your track it's OK. It IS quieter than cork, but I found it harder to work with.

I choose WS foam. I like it because it seemed less difficult than cork. It may still have a LITTLE "squishyness" as some call it, but when ballasted with glue and all that holds it in place.
FOr larger areas like under switches and in yards, I bought the "craft foam 8.5x11 sheets" at the craft store in black to go there. It is all most exactly the same heigth and isn't noticeable when the trains shift from WS to the Craft foam.
Cork is supposed to turn brittle and dry out, the idea behind WS foam is that it doesn't. Only time will tell.

I think he is talking about the rubber "roll" road bed. If this is what you are talking about I thought it was very userfrendly. easy to cut and mold to what you were doing. the biggest issue I had was louse ballast after 6 years of use. you need lots of glue and dont disturb the track as the rubber flexes and lets the ballast fall off. the track was very secure and did not move after it was layed. it reduced noise and gave a good transition from track to scenery. it is a littlu price tho..

Trent

Back