Converting an Old Kato U30C to LokSound

GGNInNScale

Granite Gorge and Northern Again
I am changing an older Kato diesel to sound. The engine started with the two clip-in lighting PCBs. I machined out the frame as shown in the pictures using my Dremel bit in my drill press approach. I 3D-printed a small case for the 9x16mm OWS speaker (DigiKey). My case designs are on TinkerCad- https://www.tinkercad.com/things/cxvjc7Bulkg-sugar-cube-speaker-box-9x16mm-different-depths
I am using an ESU 58923 decoder- fits easily in the shell. I will be adding 0402 LEDs with a 2.2kOhm SMD resistor for front and rear lights. I removed the wires that are not needed. The motor is normally connected by bronze spring flaps to the frame pieces. I clipped off the "top" strip close to the brush button, and soldered it to the "bottom" strip. Then, I soldered the orange and gray motor leads to the tips of the bronze strips (sorry, forgot to take a picture). Both motor leads can be fed through the top as shown with no shorting. I added Kapton tape onto the interiors of the frame sides to insulate the motor leads (the motor has a plastic shell so the bronze strips can be fed along the motor body). The sound file is ESU S0545. More pictures as I progess.
4-17 update- ready for "putting the lid on..." The lights slip in above the plastic lenses in each end. The power wires fit into grooves in the frame, cut in with a file corner edge.

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! One issue with YouTube- I tried to join up, but they want a 5 minute personal video or my driver's license to make an account- NOT going to happen...

I got the response from YouTube when I tried a couple months ago, and gave it up immediately. It is Google, which is a disaster (my 900+ seniors in my university classes proved this point...).🤪

Last edited:

Back