Control panel leds for a 3 way switch

I have a 3 way that im trying to get the wiring figured out for. The first set of points selects route 1 or 2. The second set selects route 2 or 3. I know how to wire the leds so that i get a green or red light depending on which way the toggle switch is thrown, but if the first set of points is set to route 1, then how do i make the set of leds for 2 and 3 be red all the time, since one of them will be green if its just wired thru the other toggle switch. I hope i have made this clear enough for everyone to tell exactly what im trying to do, if not i can try again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 3 way that im trying to get the wiring figured out for. The first set of points selects route 1 or 2. The second set selects route 2 or 3. I know how to wire the leds so that i get a green or red light depending on which way the toggle switch is thrown, but if the first set of points is set to route 1, then how do i make the set of leds for 2 and 3 be red all the time, since one of them will be green if its just wired thru the other toggle switch. I hope i have made this clear enough for everyone to tell exactly what im trying to do, if not i can try again.

Tortoisesthreewayswitch.png

While this does not work with Bipolar LED's (red and green) it will let you have an individual LED light up for each track. I have another circuit designed if you want to use a single SPDT Switch (On-OFF-On) switch to operate the tortoises.

Wow, thank you very much. I dont think i could have figured that one out. I am planning to use two dpdt switches to control the tortoises, but i would love to see your wiring diagram.

If it's really a 3-way switch, then you can't just have 2 independent toggles. There would be one setting that would make the two Tortii fight each other, because the points come to rest on each other. You'd need some way to implement the logic that says "If this part of the turnout is reversed, this other part must be normal."

At our club we have one 3-way operated by Tortoise machines. In our control scheme, each Tortoise has a relay to operate it, and I can recall wiring it up with an extra diode so that if one relay were operated, it would force another to operate too, but not vice versa.

If it's really a 3-way switch, then you can't just have 2 independent toggles. There would be one setting that would make the two Tortii fight each other, because the points come to rest on each other. You'd need some way to implement the logic that says "If this part of the turnout is reversed, this other part must be normal."

At our club we have one 3-way operated by Tortoise machines. In our control scheme, each Tortoise has a relay to operate it, and I can recall wiring it up with an extra diode so that if one relay were operated, it would force another to operate too, but not vice versa.

No Diode is necessary to achieve this logic. you simply need two DPDT relays to do this.

3wayswitchdiagram.png

Here is a wiring diagram. The tortoises in this diagram are both showing the front side (the side with the mechanism on it). The diagram currently shows the tortoises in the center position for the 3 way turnout. The right tortoise goes on the points farthest from the frog. The left tortoise goes to the nearest points. The tortoises should face each other so that the throw rods are between the green housings. You may need to reverse the polarity (hence why I used screw terminals on my boards) of the tortoise to throw correctly. Also you may need to flip the control switch wires so that the direction of the switch match the direction of the turnout. In order for the 3 way turnout to be set to the center track the switch machines throw mechanisms have to be opposite of each other. To set either the left or right routes they need to be on the same sides.

When installing I set the switch to center. The switch machine mechanism (the little black piece you screw the throw wire into) should be opposing each other (ie not on the same side). Throw the switch to either side. if it binds then the polarity of the turnout is not correct. It may take a little messing with to get each direction correctly set.

I hope this info helps!

The points dont touch each other, so thats not a issue. When the train is coming into the switch and the first set of points are set to the divergent route the train never crosses the second set of points. If the first set of points is set to the thru route the the second set will send the train straight thru, or divergent on the other track depending on which way it is thrown. I think the best way for me to go is use the single color leds and wire them thru the tortoise. What would be the correct ressistor to use on the leds for a 12vdc supply?

Points don't touch each other? That's not the Peco 3-way, then.

Re using a diode or not, I wouldn't make a fetish of saving one very cheap component. It might be worth it not to have to install extra wiring!

PCOSL-E99.JPG

Points don't touch each other? That's not the Peco 3-way, then.

Re using a diode or not, I wouldn't make a fetish of saving one very cheap component. It might be worth it not to have to install extra wiring!

PCOSL-E99.JPG

If it is easier to use a diode, I'm all ears, as I would like to simplify wiring as much as possible. I do design my boards so that all the cabling going to and from the boards is very simple.

I did try to use a diode in my original design but it actually was causing problems and realized that it actually wasn't needed at all. I'm not trying to skimp on parts; just found it to be unnecessary.

John, the turnout that you're showing, isn't called a three way, it's actually called a lap turnout, as the points of one actually "laps" onto the other point.

A 3-way is two turnouts off set slightly to allow the points to fit against a solid stock rail. The lap turnouts were only used in very slow speed areas as one point resting against another sometimes did not give adequate support, of the cars & locos traveling over it.

At least that's what I remember reading in an old Trains mag, a long time ago. Sorry for picking nits as they do the same thing.

My electronics knowledge is limited, at best. However, i think i have come up with a way to contain all the led wiring for the control panel lights in the panel itself. I can use a diode to power the second switch (routed thru the first switch) only when the first switch is set to allow travel to the second set of points. I wont be able to use the red/green leds like the rest of it will use, but it will keep the leds that show the route path for the second switch dark until the first switch is flipped to the thru route. The first led will go dark and the pair that are related to the second set of points will be lit dependent upon the second switch position.

Back