Control panel build Part 1

NYC_George

I decided to redo one of my smaller control panels because more remote switches were added after I built the helix and upper deck. So I decided to show everyone how it’s done. Photo 1 shows the old control panel. I going to take that apart and install the updated version.

The first thing you have to do cut all the components to the same size. Looking at photo 2 you have 1. The layout plan where all the DPDT switches and pin stripping will go in relationship to the panel. 2. The 1/8 inch clear plastic top. 3. The thin black plastic pin stripping base made from an old school notebook. 4. The base that everything sits on.

In photo 3 everything gets put in its proper place and taped together. I’m drilling a small hole through all the parts so they will later be aligned properly.

In photo 4 I expanded the small drill hole in the clear plastic top to a ¼ inch, the size of the toggle switch throw shaft. The same was done to the thin black plastic. The wood base 1/16 “ hole was expanded to ¾ of an inch. I want the toggle switches to attach to 1/8 “ clear plastic top and not the wood base. I need the wood base to support the plastic but not the switches.

Part 2 will show how everything gets attached to the frame and the pin stripping gets applied.

Back