Constructing the Walthers Red X Cement Plant

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
hi guys, i finally started work on my 2nd Walthers Cornerstone Series Red X Cement Plant. This will be the final silo structure on my 2'x8' cement plant module im working in. It will be part of a 24 silo structure for the main structure on the module. Here is what the Red X Cement plant looks like:

09330000003704.gif

Silo Construction, Shed and Elevator Shaft

As i mentioned, i already have one of these Red X Cement kits assembled and on the module next the the Valley Cement Silo Structure. Now that im more experienced with building kits (the first red x plant kit was constructed quite some time ago, and there are some seams that show :eek: LOL) im hoping i can get the seams on the silo structure down to a minimum. I dont see any way to completely make them disappear, as even filling them with filler still leaves a small seam. I decided to go a different route to see if it would work when assembling the silos.

First i glued them all together normally how they would go together, glued the roof on and then taped it down to hold it down in the proper location. Left that tape on and then worked on the joints where the silo pieces meet on both sides (4 joints total). I filled them with plastic cement, taped them so it was roughly a smooth edge where the to joined, and pressed them together to close the gaps that were left. This meant glue oozed out from the seams lol. Wiped the excess glue off and then applied some masking tape just as i did on the roof to hold the pieces together until they dried. Here is what the silo structure looked like after the tape was removed and the glue had dried, as you can see, its a mess and needs a good sanding....

SL373279.png

SL373280.png

SL373281.png

While the tape was still on the silo structure holding it together while the glue dried, i assembled the large hopper car shed and the tall elevator shaft, here they are still unpainted:

SL373283.png

More pics and progress to come soon!!!

those seams can be improved with squadron green and several iterations of sanding, finishing with fine (00?) steel wool.

It's like painting a car: it's all about the prep.

Back