Conrail Detroit Line

DetroitConrail

I'm finally getting a chance to return to model railroading . I have a small area available so i can start learning again. I have a small switching layout that i created that i would like start building. I would just like some input to if my idea is ok. The bottom track is my programing track, the two others are the mains. Any help or advice would help. Also i would like to hand-lay my rail so what company would you use.
A. Central Valley
B. Proto 87
C. any Others?

Last edited by a moderator:
The primary problem I see with your plan is that your lead is only long enough to get one or two cars over to the industrial side of the layout.

Can your road crossing be "flipped" [using 2 left-handed turnouts instead of right-handed] so the turnout on the yard side is more toward the middle of the layout? That would effectively double the number of cars you could pull across. Otherwise as Greg pointed out, you'll be seriously limited. [I wish I could have included a modified diagram, but I'm prohibited from uploading files from the company computer...]

Thanks for the input. I change it. On the left side i still have 6 ft that i can use so that idea of flipping the turnouts really works out.

Looks much better! Now - if you could slide the flipped crossover another ~12" to the right, that would give you one [or possibly even two] extra car length.

MOO (my opinion only), but I'd change the track at the bottom of the plan to a single spur. That does remove one potential industry/customer, but I've never been a fan of multiple switchbacks unless they're really necessary. And it would save you one turnout.

OTOH, there are plenty of proto-switchbacks out there, so...

Back