Completed mainline, need imput

CSXfan75

I have drawn a complete mainline with a few passing sidings, two staging yards, and a classification yard. Im looking for imput before I continue with industrial branches and secondary tracks.
I will note that in the south staging yard there is a 5th track I realized was too close to the others, I will edit that later.
Let me know what you think.

Zac

Good start.

Good job of working the staging in. It will make a huge difference.

Yea, I followed your advice there. I tried to configure the mainline as to run trains continuously, using my new knowledge of DCC. Do you think what I have as the mainline would be good for that continuous running of multiple trains? As I stated, I havent put any industries in, nor access tracks to them. I want to establish a "longhaul" mainline to recreate through trains as I run local pick ups and drop offs simultaneously, hence the few passing sidings. One industry I plan to model is my previous employer where I was the "railsite attendant" and directed CSX locals in spotting the right centerflo cars to the right spurs as to which raw materials were needed in specific vac line outlets. I havent designated a spot for it yet. I know when the local would come, sometimes they had to wait while "through trains" were scheduled to come through, usually mail trains and unit freight trains. It was a typical runaround siding so they could only venture out on the mainline between the longhaul freights. I wanted to get the main to where 2-3 trains can run continuously, and the fun in it would be squeezing the local runs in at the same time...or so thats the plan! Though I am not real confident in what I have now, as far as the operations I want to do. Thats why I wanted to know if this plan would work for what I want to do. I have pretty much scraped the big four bridge for now, I want to keep the landscape simple while I get more accustomed to train operations down. I can add that bridge in later. But as of now, this plan I am sticking with, just a little ignorant on operation efficiency. What do you think with that in mind?

There are two ways to effectively run multiple trains.

Run them all the same direction (hopefully with a few blinds to make it not look like a parade.)

Put in a dual main and run them in opposite directions.

I've found that many people start out wanting to run multiple trains, but eventually settle for running maybe one or two. With your staging, you can vary the 1 or 2 a lot.

That said, your general idea for a mainline is fine, but like in real life, the railroad doesn't come before the scenery. Start picturing your scenery and industries and fit them in. Then Adjust the main to accommodate them.

Good point about the scenery, as well as the dual main. Another thing I want to avoid is alot of curves. Most real railroads are straight...at least the mains, Im trying to accomplish that as well.
How do I know which param file is an industry or other objects?

When you go to load the param files, there is an option to list the contents rather than the file manes. You won't see what's in them until you actually pull it into the window. They you have the choice of checking it or unchecking it. You'll figure out pretty quickly how to tell structures from track.

Where are these multiple trains going to run?
It looks like a 13 x 9 foot layout with 6 feet of main to me.
Everything else is staging or reversing loop.

Back