Colorado Railroad Museum

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hello everyone.

We recently had an opportunity to catch a ride to Denver. I lived in that area back in the mid 80s and have wanted to go back ever since. LGM has never been to Colorado and was chomping at the bit to see the Grande's old stomping grounds that he has studied so much. It was a whirlwind (quick) trip, but we did manage to get by the museum in Golden and see both portals of the Moffat Tunnel. I know the D&RGW was a well photographed RR (understatement :D ) but thought ya'll might get a kick out of a few of our photos just the same. I'll get us started and LGM will be along soon to add some of his own. If we have any other Grande fans out there (and I know we do), feel free to add any personal shots. We'd love to see them!

LGM just HAD to sneak a look thru the side window into the cab.
1634678468_09a23cecfc_o.jpg

Narrow Guage Nostalgia
1661023877_878be82eeb_o.jpg

Connie (SG)
1661023921_c4399ffe2c_o.jpg

Narrow guage Baldwin builders plate.
1661023909_5407bcd43d_o.jpg

Moffet Tunnel west portal (Winter Park)
1658113238_3327ff073d_o.jpg

Here are a few shots from the museum layout (Denver HO club, I believe). The plexiglass and handheld 1/4 second exposures were tough, but we did manage to pull off a few decent shots. These were taken at 1600 ISO...

IMG_6929.JPG

IMG_6922.JPG

IMG_6923.JPG

Nice shots. The CRM in Golden is a great museum and shouldn't be missed by any railfan that gets within a hundred miles of Denver. I was there two years agao and they were just repainting that F-9. It looks like they did a great job. I'm kind of surprised to see snow at Moffat already although there always seems to be snow around Halloween in Denver so I guess it's really not all that unusual.

Just a note to anyone who's visiting the Moffat Tunnel. The UP police have surveillance cameras at both portals and you will be on tape. They generally don't get too disturbed as long as you stay off the tracks and away from the tunnel itself. Don't be tempted to take a little walk into the tunnel for a look around. Not to mention the fact that you could get run over by a train, the UP police or the local sheriff will be there before you can get back to your car and it will not be a pleasant encounter. Such is the post-9/11 world of railfanning. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Post 9/11, or, "Tunnel rules" world? I'd NEVER try to get up around a tunnel portal!

Both, actually. You obviously shouldn't be inside a tunnel no matter what but many a railfan would get his picture taken at the portal. They had scanners and knew when the next train was due. It still was neither safe nor legal but you were unlikely to get a visit from the law. All the signs and fencing in the picture are all post 9/11, as is the video surveillance. Anyone in or near the portal is now viewed as a potential terrorist, which is a lot different from being a simple trespasser. The local sheriff and the UP police will give you a good grilling if they catch you now, including wanting to review any pictures you've taken. You are likely to be given a citation for trespassing at a minimum. It's not pleasant and that's why I posted my warning.

Thanks for the info Jim. In many ways, I'm about sick of the post 9-11 world. We put up with all these restrictions while our southern border remains wide open for any potential threat (BP calles them OTMs, Other Than Mexicans) to walk right in. Doesn't make much sense to me. The East Portal does have barracades and clutter all around. Fortunately, I had enough lens to get a decent shot from the barracade. ;)

1671745823_cfcae546a1_o.jpg

Grande Man: super beautiful and interesting pictures...!!!
what a huge tunnelportal!!(?)( moffat tunnel)

Jos

Grande Man: super beautiful and interesting pictures...!!!
what a huge tunnelportal!!(?)( moffat tunnel)

Jos

Thanks Jos. Here's a view of the East Portal with the wide angle lens. LGM is working with a longer lens than the UP police in this shot. :D We were really rushed to get back to the airport and only had about 10 minutes to get a few pics. Unfortunately for us, this is a morning photography location so it was backlit when we were there in the afternoon (there had been a change of plans and we had to leave earlier than originally scheduled). That being the case, this is a thrown together HDR shot, but gets you an overall view.
1673601000_1a7951504b_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Jim. In many ways, I'm about sick of the post 9-11 world. We put up with all these restrictions while our southern border remains wide open for any potential threat (BP calles them OTMs, Other Than Mexicans) to walk right in. Doesn't make much sense to me. The East Portal does have barracades and clutter all around. Fortunately, I had enough lens to get a decent shot from the barracade. ;)

Indeed. It seems quite silly to worry about the Moffat Tunnel, which would take a massive amount of explosives to even damage, while our border, particularly with Canada, remains largely unprotected and unpatrolled. It's our northern border that concerns me in terms of movement of terrorists and material into the US. However, we have to show the public we're doing something so we have all these barriers and such at Moffat. You would be amazed at some of the dumb things we were told to do in law enforcement to give the public the idea we were on top of things. :rolleyes:

Back