COLD Soldering????

NVR/WAS RxR

Has anyone ever used COLD Soldering? If so, how effective is it?
How does it work? Any problems I should be on the lookout for?

At a recent RxR Club fundraiser I won a gift certificate for one. But have yet to cash it in.

I worked in electronics in the service and also worked for a company that manufactures laser drivers and controllers and I personally wouldn't be interested in it. We found more problems with bad soldering, which many were cold solder joints.

Not for me

I never heard too many good words about the cold soldering process.

The process of cold soldering is actually resistance soldering when an electrical connection is formed with an object being soldered being placing between the two tips of the cold soldering gun or iron forming a resistance heating the solder as opposed to the heat of a conventional iron using the heat of the soldering tip to melt the solder and heat the work area.

I would try it on a non-essential solder joint and see if it works for you.

Greg

Hmmm the term cold soldering is certainly a misnomer. Heats quick and cools quick might be a better designation. As Greg says it does appear to be a new take on an induction unit. Induction soldering has been around forever.

I have several induction soldering stations and I love them. It takes some practice at first but after the learning curve they can do amazing things a straight up heat unit cannot. I have 3 different tweezers, a plier, a stripper, and a couple of other specialty heads Usually the biggest reason they are not more popular is the price. I am a bit skeptical of a battery powered one.

Here is one that I have --> https://americanbeautytools.com/Resistance-Tweezer-Systems/98/features

Back