It's Saturday, September 21, 2013

anim_coffee.png

POUR_COFFEEa.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

High in the upper 60s and cloudy.
LOCO_ACTIONa.png

Good morning. It's 69° with 100% humidity. The high will be 78° and will feel like 82°.
condmc-1.jpg
with a
cond40.jpg

It's quite wet here but at least it isn't raining. The lake hasn't started to rise yet, at least I can't see any evidence of it from the windows of my fathers office where I have my little workshop set up. Looks like more rain is expected today. The flash flood watch has been dropped.

Today I'll be doing some work on - you guessed it - the F3. I'm making changes on it that cross and mix phase distinctions that might make any rivet counter want to pack his bags and leave town. It's very definitely a phase I unit but it has certain things on it that were late phase II and some as late as phase IV but not as late as the F5 and it'll get crazier still. I'm having a lot of fun with this and I intend for it to get double and triple takes and some 'hey that's not supposed to be there' looks. It should blend right in with my other F units as most of them are rivet counter nightmares too.

P1010073-1.jpg

253-1.jpg

Good morning everyone...

It's my birthday, so one thing on the agenda is a trip to the LHS to pick up a few items, namely WS starter ramps in 2, 3,and 4% grades. Might also look at Peco turnouts in code 83 for the hidden track, as Atlas still is very hard to find. And I plan to ask the store owner to take a look at 3 old engines that I am not sure whether I want to use.

Have a great day, everyone...

From the DairyStatePhone

Good afternoon mates and blokes! The temp right now is 64* going up to 70* for the high. It rained all night and the front is now just past us though some overcast remains. We were watching the weather hoping we might run nitro buggies at the big dirt track later on. They decided the track is too wet for today so we are shooting for tomorrow sunday. Glad it's delayed....and have more time to get my car ready.

News on the model train scene.....I found two stunning, semi-unique, must have Kato C44-9W locomotives on ebay.....upon which I shall bring to bear the full force of my considerable resources to secure possession there of........or at least something closely resembling such an effort. :D:eek::cool::eek::rolleyes:

And Happy Birthday....Dairy State Dad!!!!!

Ahhhh sweet, new digs! :cool:

Not much goin on here, Getting some much needed rain from a front out of Ohio (thanks Mike)
I helped SWMBO clean her office building this morning (3 floors) ,stopped at a few yard sales, bought nothing, came home, ate lunch and napped til 5:30 when the wife came in (I didnt know she had left) with a pizza. Ahh yes, lazy kinda day, or at least the afternoon.
Not sure what the evening will bring yet. Might install some decoders, decal some engines, or might take a nap again:rolleyes:;)

Good afternoon.

Erik ... Happy B'day
Jeff ... I like your old layout photos. The guy in the red shirt looks real.
Karl .... 3 floors of cleaning? .... That's a lot of work.
Bill T. ...Good to see you..... especially your coffee.

I'm continuing with slow progress on my layout extension. Meanwhile, I run trains for the fun of it.

Cheers

Thanks for the b'day wishes, folks! It was a good day. Picked up the Woodland Scenics grade-starter-sets -- although I don't expect to have any 4% grades, I got one package in each (2-3-4%) mainly to experiment with as I move into the next phase.

I've also been talked into buying Peco instead of Atlas turnouts for my staging area, where the track will be code 83. The LHS has pretty good prices on the Peco turnouts, just a few bucks more than the Atlas ones, and for that matter has no idea when he'll be getting any more Atlas code 83 anyway. And I've already gotten a Peco turnout before (bought a curved one just to see how it would do for some of the curved turnouts the layout will require in the Code 70 portion) and I like their spring-loaded throwbar.

This afternoon I finished attaching the table tops to the last section of the layout. This week I hope to find some time to varnish the section, then I'll begin gluing down the foam tops with liquid nails (foam-safe version).

Have a good evening, all!

Happy Birthday Erik!
cake.gif

Hello gang! Bill, I really like the new venue - but could you bring back the ladies please?

The Friday evening op session was a success. Definitely not glitch-free, but my guest operators all had fun and that's the primary goal, right? Since there were 5 guests instead of the usual three, every scheduled train run was completed in slightly under two hours [the normal start-to-end time interval I set for my sessions]. Hmmmm, looks like I'll need to start piling on for future sessions...can't have people getting bored now can we?

Just got back from a backyard wedding reception my Iranian-American neighbor was having for his son and bride [wait a minute, I thought the father of the bride was suppose to cover all that?]. It was quite a production - got to eat a lot of Persian cuisine and heard a lot of their version of pop music. The band consisted of a keyboard player, two drummers, and a singer - no bassist. I really liked it, but man it was deafeningly loud! Everybody had to stay huddled under tents because of the monsoon-style rain that inundated our region today.

Hope y'all enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Sunday, September 22, 2013

anim_coffee.png

POUR_COFFEEa.png

waitress3.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

High in the mid 60s and partly cloudy.
SMILEY_TRAIN.png

morning, its sunny & gonna top out @ 89* strange thou
the last 3 days we havent had any late afternoon thunder storms

Good afternoon. It's 74° with 51% humidity. The high will be 82° and will feel like 86°.
cond026.gif

Had a little bit of a mishap this morning. I dropped a piece of clear plastic 'glass' and it just got lost on the carpet. So I was going to get down there and see if I could find it. So I got out of my chair and was lowering myself down when I lost my balance and down I went and not at the angle I had planned on. Landed on my butt which was nice as there's plenty of padding there. The momentum carried me on over onto my back and my head just missed the leg of a Steel Case desk that's next to my computer table here (one of those old steel, wood and masonite things the army bought lots of back in the 70's and 80's). I was none the worse for wear and I realized that when I fell I was more concerned with hitting the table and splashing my drink that I was about getting hurt. Oh well, no harm done. It took me about ten seconds to find the piece of plastic and about that long again to get back on my chair.

Today's task is to put 'glass' in the windshield and window openings of one or maybe both of the Zamac F3 shells. The window kit comes in one piece that apparently can be clipped right into place. That may work fine in a plastic shell but it doesn't even begin in a metal shell. So far I've had to cut sides of the windshield free and carefully trim almost all of the plastic from the edges so they will fit in place. It was while attempting to fit one of the pieces that it turned and dropped through the windshield opening and through the help of something that somebody named gravity it ended up on the carpet. See how that ties in with what's above? Anyway I now both sides of the windshield fitted in place and secured with super glue. The windows are next. If they require the same amount of attention as the first two pieces I may be at this all day. As much of a battle as it's been so far I may fill in the window openings with clear glue as I did the portholes.

DSCN5202.jpg

248.jpg

Jeffrey,
Part of me says " Oh no, are you OK?" :eek:
and part of me wants to giggle.:rolleyes:

Does that mean that I am schizophrenic! :confused:

Or is it just because I have done the same thing, leaning forward to retrieve a small part, and having my desk chair on wheels shoot across the room like a rocket!

Good afternoon Guys, It's quite a bit cooler here in Central Calif. There was quite a thunder & lightening storm yesterday late afternoon which dumped .71 of an inch of rain in about 30 minutes. This was badly needed as things were getting rather dry. The temp is considerably cooler today, 69.6 °F with Humidity of 46%, going for a high of 69 °F so we've surpassed that and it will drop down to 52 °F tonight. I think I'd better cover up the attic vent over the end of the garage and train area to hold a little heat in there. God, if it isn't one thing it's something else. Two days ago it was too hot, now it'd starting to get a bit chilly but I much prefer it on the cooler side!

I just wanted to stop in and say Hi to everyone.

Say Erik, Happy Birthday, glad you an enjoyable day.

Well time for me to get to covering up the vent on the Garage and then get back to working on my track work.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back