KokomoNKPIMCwatchmanstower.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON

Ah yes, "the frown"

She gives me that one too....gee, I wonder why....:confused::rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------

Morning...

From a fogged on, very humid, warmish London ON.

Wherein another 2 hour bus delay has arrived in the form of a drizzly peasoup fog and generalized stickiness...68F feeling like 80F right now going for a high of 77F feeling like 96F later on...

Today is a busy day for us. Our neighbour is having a few friends over for an operating session and I have to be dispatch....this is going to be interesting.......this on top of the normal grocery getting, pill baying...and all other assorted....schtuff....should make for an 'interesting' day....

Have a good day!!

Went to town to get gas. $3.699 a gallon for regular. Prices is starting to get ridiculous.They passed stupid a long time ago but haven't yet gotten to ludicrous.

Say Jeff, Just wait, they are liable to reach the ridiculously ludicrous point the way things are going!??

Good afternoon Guys,

Say Flo & Francine how are you both doing today? What were you saying, Rex was looking a little down lately, he's been going through some form of depression I think, maybe a little hug from either or both of you will perk him up!

Anyway I guess I have some coffee and a slice of whatever pie you have.

It's fairly cloudy here with a temp of about 98* but Wunderground Weather says it's only 92.4 with 15% Humidity & 20% chance of Thunder storms so it should be intersting to see what developes?

Yesterday I noted that we had the first very slight rain fall that didn't even register0.001 in the rain guage so I guess it was a figment of my imagination except for the dust spots on things. It sure would be good to get at least .25" or hopefully more! Things are sure dry around here and the Nitrogen the rain brings will do a world of good.

Other than that not too much going on other than itchin to get going on the layout again and get away from the computer.

See you guys later.

Been slaving away putting the Peerless tractor back together today and I am wiped! It runs but the tranny is on the way out. I don't expect it to last much longer. It's already screaming pretty loud. Replacing it will cost more than buying a new tractor so my father and I are waiting for small tractors to go on sale. My main stipulation on it is that I can operate it easily without having to modify it. It has to have a hand shift for forward and reverse, not that darned little bitty pedal you have to step down on. My fathers little MTD has that. I can't step on the darn thing without standing and course standing kills the engine. You also have to wait for it to come to a complete stop before reversing and you have to go through the first seven steps of the ballet in shutting down whatever can't be on when reversing. I disabled the more maddening safety features on his so it can be operated without it dying when you sneeze! For example, when it was new this is what had to be done to reverse. Come to complete stop. Disengage blades. Raise mower deck to lock position. Set throttle to half (what that had to do with anything I have NO idea but it would die if not throttled down to half). Step firmly on reverse pedal. That got old REAL FAST! After a bit of work on it all that needs to be done is stop, step on reverse pedal. The deck can be left where it is and it will mow in forward AND reverse and the throttle setting doesn't have to be changed. Stepping on that reverse pedal is a pain in the butt for me! I have to twist my leg around sideways and catch the end of the pedal with the side of my boot. Even then it's a hit and miss (mostly miss) proposition. That darn thing had to have been thought up by some bean counter who's also a contortionist. If my father gets another one with that on it I may have to consider marching him out in front of a firing squad. I've already told him that when he goes to look at any I'm going along to see that what he gets meets my criteria instead of his idea of what's best for his wallet. Who has to drive the dang thing? I DO!. And I don't expect it to be another small one like his. It has to be big and heavy enough to do the heavy work I been doing with the old one the past fifteen years. His little one just doesn't cut the mustard. Well, enough about that.

No layout work and I haven't even THOUGHT about running a train today. I'm gonna sleep good tonight.

Been slaving away putting the Peerless tractor back together today and I am wiped! <snip>.

Jeffrey, You just cited the only reason I keep the Cub Crapette around (other than the fact SWMBO drives it)
1 hand control....forward,reverse,stop, left hand . Gas, deck height, key, right hand.
look ma, no feet!!:D;) Thats how they were built back then.:p
Also it doesn't have the annoying seat switch or the "only in forward" mower engagement.
Oh, one other issue
Most of the "new" tractors out there are made by MTD....Deere, Cub, Craftsman whoever, same crap, different paint job. I'd suggest looking for a restored or restorable older lawn tractor before I'd drop 2 grand or better on the new rider.

Maybe you could find another Peerless with a blown engine,,,,get a tranny that way??:confused:

Good Evening

Great day was had by all. Neighbour's layout was quite cooperative this afternoon...no incidents, accidents, laydowns occured. We had a wonderful BBQ out back with ribs and such. Mind, chemo after effects tend to not make for much of an appetite....

Weatherwise we were supposed to have gotten thunderstorms and such...needless to say nothing of the sort happened here...

Jeffrey, You just cited the only reason I keep the Cub Crapette around (other than the fact SWMBO drives it)
1 hand control....forward,reverse,stop, left hand . Gas, deck height, key, right hand.
look ma, no feet!!:D;) Thats how they were built back then.:p
Also it doesn't have the annoying seat switch or the "only in forward" mower engagement.
Oh, one other issue
Most of the "new" tractors out there are made by MTD....Deere, Cub, Craftsman whoever, same crap, different paint job. I'd suggest looking for a restored or restorable older lawn tractor before I'd drop 2 grand or better on the new rider.

Maybe you could find another Peerless with a blown engine,,,,get a tranny that way??:confused:

That's why in cars (autos) I don't go past '99. Hate these newer ones where, when you lift the bonnet you're confronted with a plastic cover that just screams "KEEP OUT".
(Mind you, IMHO opinion, all the good cars came to an end about 1980 and were RWD)

Been having a busy morning, got emails back from the seller of the FP45 with the "crook" (dud) motor promising to try and get another, and also from Chuck at Athearn parts dept offering to send one free of charge. (I had also written to them to see what could be done)

So I accepted his very kind offer :):):) and then wrote to the seller to tell him (which also pleased him :)) so should be on the rails in about another 3 weeks (the time it usually takes to get stuff shipped USPS priority international) Also asked about the availability of the speakers that fit these locos and whether there would be any advantage in fitting a second one into the available extra mounting. He said he didn't think there would be much advantage in a 2nd speaker, but as I have other locos with that setup where it does seem to make a difference, I might give it a try later (gotta see/hear what programming with DCC does, that is, when the Aussie supplier of my power pack gets one to me).

Prices for speakers incl enclosure $US24.98. Tsunami sound decoders $US99.98. Will look elsewhere at least for the decoders.

Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Friday, September 7, 2012

coffee-pouring111.png

ALTAMONT_TOWER.png

Altamont Tower, Lafayette IN, 1977, N&W (NKP)/CONRAIL (PRR)

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON

Good Morning...

We are going to be dumped on..if the weatherguessers are right...a little more than 2" of rain expected here for the overnight hours...today? Dull and somewhat showery...

Got a few things to do housework wise...so better be gettin'R'done....:eek:

That's what I like about mine. It can be almost totally controlled by hand, even a hand brake.

The chassis is modeled after a larger MTD but is almost a foot longer, uses the same engine MTD used back then (17hp Briggs and Stratton V twin). It uses for the most part MTD parts so it's been convenient to hang onto it as most of the parts are easily obtainable. The company that built it however went out of business many years ago. I did an internet search but the company doesn't even come up. The company was one that put it's name on other manufacturers equipment and substituted it's own parts. So even though the name on the tractor is Peerless it has nothing to do with Peerless/Tecumseh. There's no telling where this thing originally came from. The belt drive is very similar to MTD but has a partial shaft drive and a PTO. The tranny however was very proprietary and was only made for one year and at over fifteen years old working examples are very rare. An MTD Peerless tranny WILL NOT fit. Imagine that.

That's why in cars (autos) I don't go past '99. Hate these newer ones where, when you lift the bonnet you're confronted with a plastic cover that just screams "KEEP OUT".
(Mind you, IMHO opinion, all the good cars came to an end about 1980 and were RWD)
Even though I drove front wheel drive cars for many years I still like rear wheel drive. My father and I both have RWD vehicles. His oldest is a 1988 Fleetwood RV. Next is a 92 Ford F150 Lariat and an '08 Grand Marquis. Mine of course is my old 81 3/4 ton Dodge van. Ancient but still kicking. I like it because it can be easily repaired in the driveway. They don't build them like that anymore. Today you need a computer just to find out what's wrong and then degrees in electronics and mechanical engineering to know what you're even looking at. My last car (1994 Buick Century) was a computer geeks dream and a mechanics nightmare! My mothers car is a front wheel drive (Pontiac G6). Another computerized wonder machine. You wonder why it doesn't burn up in a big short circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I like about mine. It can be almost totally controlled by hand, even a hand brake.

The chassis is modeled after a larger MTD but is almost a foot longer, uses the same engine MTD used back then (17hp Briggs and Stratton V twin). It uses for the most part MTD parts so it's been convenient to hang onto it as most of the parts are easily obtainable. The company that built it however went out of business many years ago. I did an internet search but the company doesn't even come up. The company was one that put it's name on other manufacturers equipment and substituted it's own parts. So even though the name on the tractor is Peerless it has nothing to do with Peerless/Tecumseh. There's no telling where this thing originally came from. The belt drive is very similar to MTD but has a partial shaft drive and a PTO. The tranny however was very proprietary and was only made for one year and at over fifteen years old working examples are very rare. An MTD Peerless tranny WILL NOT fit. Imagine that.

Even though I drove front wheel drive cars for many years I still like rear wheel drive. My father and I both have RWD vehicles. His oldest is a 1988 Fleetwood RV. Next is a 92 Ford F150 Lariat and an '08 Grand Marquis. Mine of course is my old 81 3/4 ton Dodge van. Ancient but still kicking. I like it because it can be easily repaired in the driveway. They don't build them like that anymore. Today you need a computer just to find out what's wrong and then degrees in electronics and mechanical engineering to know what you're even looking at. My last car (1994 Buick Century) was a computer geeks dream and a mechanics nightmare! My mothers car is a front wheel drive (Pontiac G6). Another computerized wonder machine. You wonder why it doesn't burn up in a big short circuit.
We got rid of my wife's G6 for that reason. The brake lights would spontaneously come on, and would not go off. A new brake pedal position sensor (they can't be bothered with a simple switch), a new Body Cpntrol Module, a new wiring harness, and still the lights would not go out. It honked me off for the last time when suddenly the brakes lights would stay on until you hit the brakes, then they would go out.:confused:
It got traded in that weekend.

Good afternoon Guys,

Say Flo & Francine how are you both doing today? What were you saying, Rex was looking a little down lately, he's been going through some form of depression I think, maybe a little hug from either or both of you will perk him up!
Sounds like a winner to me and I wouldn't need testosterone shots for awhile.:D:D

Toot: I don't think you will find a much lower price on the Tsunami. Soundtraxx has a set minimum price that dealers can sell them for. I'm not absolutely sure, but that $99 may be it.

That extra touch!

Sounds like a winner to me and I wouldn't need testosterone shots for awhile.:D:D

Ya, some extra loving sure can brighten things up and even rejuvenate us a little or a lot as the case may be! Now if I can just figure how to get the Testosterone flowing again myself? :rolleyes:

Say Toot,
In reading what Rex wrote I checked with my supplier thinking maybe I could help you out but they unfortunately don't handle that line.

Sorry

Got the grass mowed today but not with the Peerless tractor. It did good for about five minutes then an idler pulley on the mower deck went snap-crackle-pop and that was the end of that. Parked it and got the MTD out. Yeah, the one with the pain in the butt reverse pedal. I applied a redneck solution to that. Using two hose clamps I clamped a six inch piece of one inch PVC pipe to the pedal extending it's length by four inches. Now I can depress that pedal for reverse. It's still a pain in the butt to use as it requires that I devote all of my attention to where I'm placing my foot. So there's no instant reverse like the other one has. Complete stop, press pedal for reverse, complete stop, press drive pedal for forward. With the old one I never have to to take my foot off the drive pedal. Found out the old one is seventeen years old. Trannys going out but the engine is still great. A two cylinder Briggs and Stratton V-twin. No leaks, no burning oil, no fouling, no smoke. About the only part replaced on the engine besides the plugs was the carburetor and the air filter. I bet that little pain in the butt MTD won't last that long. It has a one cylinder Kohler and has already given us several headaches.

Back