Coffee Shop XLI-2/23/2014

Morning.png

Mornin' Karl!

Happy Friday, Y'all!

38°, and sunny, right now, going to 52° today. Not much on the schedule today, I have to accompany the wife to the eye Dr/ after lunch. Beyond that, ????????

I haven't done any work on the layout in a couple of days, although I did run a local freight around the layout last night. I have a lot of tedious chores to do, and I keep putting them off. Maybe I can start on that project, before it gets too nice and the outdoor projects beckon.

Joe

Good morning!
Mikey (in AL) ... Your 2-10-2 sounds like a good one.
Jeff ... Nice shot of 1499. Hope the pain goes away.
Mike (railfan) ... I grew up in a town where people could walk downtown like that. It was nice. The Dell Latitude sounds like a good purchase.
Bill T ... Thanks for the coffee. Like the depot picture.
Toot .... Watch out for the Google spies.
Karl.... That is a lot of work hours.
Carey ... Funny cat! ... How are things in Birmingham?
Joe ... We've already started the outside yard work. I, too, am just running trains lately. I have a lot of projects waiting for me. Of course, I'm doing other people's stuff because (they think) I'm not doing anything because I'm retired.

Happy Model Railroading!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, you should find a preference in your control panel to disable the trackpad when a mouse is plugged in. I had a brand new Thinkpad that would start typing text anywhere it felt like because of the hypersensitive trackpad. Of course, my new Thinkpad doesn't even have a trackpad, so it doesn't have that problem.

Never did get around to checking out that disk drive today. Still too sore.

Saw one of my neighbors out washing down the engine in has pickup (small Ranger). I called across and told him that if he does truck engines I have a big greasy 318 he could take a crack at. He laughed.

I was out in the yard earlier inspection the edge of my over-roof as best I can from the ground. I lost my balance and had to turn around and take a step to catch myself. That darn tree (most of it) is still in the yard and I tripped right over it and smacked the side of my head on it hard enough to bring on dizziness and a stellar light show. I've been after my nephew for weeks on end to come and get it. So far he's only taken thirteen feet of the top. I've really lost my patience with that bum! He won't listen to me so I left a message on my fathers answering machine to either talk to him or talk to his parents and tell him to get the lead out of his pants! He makes all kinds of excuses. I don't have time, I'm busy this weekend and it's too important, I'm having friends over, etc. He has time to bum around with his friends, go to parties, drink until the wee hours of the morning, smoke God knows what and work on ATV's for fun but he can't take thirty minutes to move a darn dead tree. Did I mention I'm at the end of my rope with this guy? If I have to move that thing myself I'm parking it right in his yard!

I don't know. He has no real control over him. He used to own the trailer the bum lives in. It belongs to my sister (the bums mother) now.

Hook a chain to the tree and your van, drag it over to his front yard, and drop it off for him.
Of course, my true recommended course would be a bit more direct. Wait until he's at work, and park it in his living room.

Hmm, not much traffic here today. Maybe I put my deodorant on backwards or something.

Nothing additional to report today. Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

First a short video:
th_DSCN1816.jpg

Now a photo:
P1010587.jpg

Good Morning.

It's almost time for the morning meds. It's 41°, and overcast this morning, going to 65°, and mostly sunny by late this afternoon. Get out the beachwear!

Not much planned for today, tonight is Hockey Night. The Devils are in do or die mode, one more loss and the playoff hopes are done.

Enjoy the weekend.

Joe

Good morning. It's 60° with 100% humidity and patchy fog. That high will be 75°.
condmc-1.jpg
with
cond30.jpg

Some rain this morning with a probable thunderstorm this afternoon. No plans for today. I may get around to checking out that disk drive. Depends on how I feel later. Right now not feeling too great.

A Roco FP7 that has a dirty secret. It has an Athearn blue box motor.
P1011483.jpg

The proof is below:
P1011481.jpg

P1011478.jpg

Morning y'all. I haven't posted on here much lately because I've been up to my eyeballs working on upgrading my layout's coke mill. I wanted to get it all done ASAP before having to start doing outdoor yard chores. I did the final positioning of the structures and static machines on Thursday night, now I'll start focusing again on preparing for op sessions.

Another reason I'm posting now is to procrastinate. I've put off doing my taxes because [ever since my kids have grown up] I always owe money, haven't had a refund since 2008. Well, yesterday I bit the bullet and picked up a TurboTax CD, and gathered all my documents together. Now I just have to do the actual filling out of the returns. I always have anxiety that some obscure change in the tax law will result in my owing a much larger amount than I expected. Guess there's only one way to find out...

Well, decided what the heck. I got out a computer and my test monitor and tested the disk drive. It works like brand new and the eject mechanism is smooth and firm. It's a real pleasure to use.

Mike, you should find a preference in your control panel to disable the trackpad when a mouse is plugged in. I had a brand new Thinkpad that would start typing text anywhere it felt like because of the hypersensitive trackpad. Of course, my new Thinkpad doesn't even have a trackpad, so it doesn't have that problem.
Hi Terry, I ended up returning the new used dell notebook in less than 24 hours and got a refund. Yesterday morning the screen was flickering in way that I've never seen on any previous machine of mine over many years. The shop owner is a good person and the item came with a 30 day warranty. I wanted it to work, but there were other issues as well.
----------------------

Wish M.B. Klein would re-stock N scale AC4400CW and C44-9W locomotives. Perhaps Kato is out of stock as well. A few months ago there were several at $59.99 each.......which I did snag a few......such a deal. One day last fall was stunned to find a single kato CSX Gevo at that same low price.....I snatched it! Seems any other item with CSX on it these days is expensive. CSX is a hot commodity in HO and N right now.

Hi Terry, I ended up returning the new used dell notebook in less than 24 hours and got a refund. Yesterday morning the screen was flickering in way that I've never seen on any previous machine of mine over many years. The shop owner is a good person and the item came with a 30 day warranty. I wanted it to work, but there were other issues as well.

Goes with the territory of used/as is. I run across it often with Apple //e parts. Fortunately I'm smart enough to fix many of them.

Morning y'all. I haven't posted on here much lately because I've been up to my eyeballs working on upgrading my layout's coke mill. I wanted to get it all done ASAP before having to start doing outdoor yard chores. I did the final positioning of the structures and static machines on Thursday night, now I'll start focusing again on preparing for op sessions.

Another reason I'm posting now is to procrastinate. I've put off doing my taxes because [ever since my kids have grown up] I always owe money, haven't had a refund since 2008. Well, yesterday I bit the bullet and picked up a TurboTax CD, and gathered all my documents together. Now I just have to do the actual filling out of the returns. I always have anxiety that some obscure change in the tax law will result in my owing a much larger amount than I expected. Guess there's only one way to find out...
Ken, good luck with your modeling. I like steel mill, heavy industry stuff, as I've mentioned before lived in youngstown ohio 1970's, took complete tour inside giant mill, was fearsome dark smokey noisy hot environment in there but cool to witness.

All my life I've waited until april, this was first year ever got my taxes done in january. Two months less on my mind is good!

Back