Coffee Shop XL-12/8/2013

Good Morning from the frozen south! 21F in Mobile, AL this morning with a wind chill of 8F. Roads and sidewalks are a sheet of ice. The high temperature today is suppose to be 31F. According to the local tV channel, there are some ID10T's out trying to drive on it.

The conditions here are almost balmy compared to some of the conditions the northern members of the forum are experiencing! LOL

Mikey, sorry you are stuck at work. Have you cleaned the vending machine out yet?

Glenn

OMG we got a little (dusting) of snow last night:eek:
Believe it or not, there is RAIN in the forecast for Sunday:rolleyes:, yes, Rain. We are actually going to thaw out! :cool:
Thanks for the birthday wishes gang, but the dinner was a bust. I developed a killer case of indigestion before dinner that limited me to a Coke and breadsticks for dinner. Never got to ordering the entree :( But thats ok, we'll try again next week.

Been watching the Weather Channel about the snow to our south. Wow!

wow-florida-has-it-so-bad-17637-1391015446-1.jpg

:rolleyes:

Garry,

That just about defines the scenes up here. All of the mets here missed the forecast for our area. We have some really good ones here, including the ones at the NWS, but even they missed it. We were supposed to get a dusting, but because the storm shifted about 75 miles to the NW, we got blasted. Mikey, (Pink Floyd) described it well. No one was expecting this so all the schools were in session as was most peoples jobs. Due to the cold, the snow didn't melt off of the roads, which turned them into sheets of ice after being compacted by the cars. All the interstates and every major highway turned into a parking lot.

Yesterday, my grandson's pre-school closed about an hour after the snow started. This was 1030. My wife and daughter went to get him from the church, which is 4 miles approx. away. They made it back home at 1430. I didn't let them get out again! Daughter was supposed to go to work at 2300 last night, and she asked me to take her. We left the house at 2030 for the 7 mile drive. It took us over an hour to get out of the neighborhood. The interstate between home and her work was partially clear, but the interchange going to her work was blocked by Ice and several hundred cars and trucks. She called and talked to her boss and said she has tried to get there, but couldn't. We made it back home at 0030. The fastest I drove was about 10mph.

We tried it again this morning and although it was easier driving, we couldn't get closer than a mile away from her work. She got out of the car on the interstate, and walked from there to her work. It took her another 60 minutes to make than mile walking. The temperatures here are still way below freezing and she was smart enough to were some rubber boots, and take several changes of clothes with her. Needless to say, unless it's a matter of life and death, we aren't going anywhere else. Its nice and warm in the basement right now, and that's where I'm gonna stay. We may have a crisis developing though, I'm getting low on my sweetener for my coffee and may be in trouble.

Edit: While we only got about 1.5-2.0" here, because it turned to ice on the roads so fast was why it has turned into the disaster that it has. Atlanta got it even worse than we did, as their mets there missed it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carey ... Sounds like a real adventure. In particular, trying to get your daughter to work. I wonder what kind of work was open.

Karl ... Your photo of Michigan reminds me of many experiences there. I lived there many years. I did spend a winter with a job in the Upper Peninsula, and we had five snow storms with more than three feet of snow each. In addition, there was normal snowfall most of the time. Plows did pile it up next to the roads as high as your photos.

Now, we are in Kentucky, and most winters are more mild. Our worst experience was the Kentucky ice storm five years ago. We were stranded in our house for nine days with no power, no land phone, no cell phone, and no county water.

Our lake rarely freezes over, but this winter is an exception. This photo shows a pair of eagles walking on the ice a couple of days ago. It was taken from the house next door to us.

100_2270_zps40269d04.jpg

Carey ... Sounds like a real adventure. In particular, trying to get your daughter to work. I wonder what kind of work was open...

She works at a hotel, and due to the storm, they are full! Their restaurant even ran out of food this morning. Since most of the staff there had been there for over 24 hrs, it really was imperative that someone get there to try to ease some of the work load.

I drove real slow, just to be safe. Even though I'm in the south, my Dad trained me on driving in ice and snow. I know that I'm more careful, and safer than 99% of the rest of us idiots driving in it. I just wish I had some chains,as that would have made some areas where I was driving better.

Coming home from getting her to work, some idiot went by me on the interstae in a big 4WD pickup, doing about 60mph. When I finally topped the hill he stormed over, he was in the median on his side. He found out 4WD doesn't help if you hit an ice patch too fast. He wasn't hurt.

I realize I am the one who cares the most, but I did make it home today safely.
Bright sunshine will melt roadway ice even in 28 degree weather.

I have come to the conclusion God has begun the selection for the 2014 DARWIN AWARDS this week.
I have personally seen several candidates in the last 24 hours, but managed to keep from getting my name on the list.

Keep warm and safe!

Evening all,from a very cold Vestavia Hills. As of tonight my Ford Ranger still sits parked on the median on Green Springs Highway. Basically, I had to park it on the grass,and lock it up,and walk the rest of the way home. Tonight the road is still a parking lot,with at least a half dozen wrecks or so. Hopefully with some luck,I'll get to drive it home on Thursday,but it might be Friday,but we'll see. One thing is sure,I really HATE,snow and Ice.:mad:.So wish me luck for tomorrow.William.

Wow!
All the winter driving stories, from Darwin Award candidates to stories of a baby being born in an Atlanta traffic jam. I'm glad its been sunny here for a few days. Cold as crap, but sunny.
I just finished ordering 4 new tires for the Impala from Tire Rack.com . The previous owner had pirelli P4s on it. What a joke, it slips in the rain, let alone the snow! I'll get them Friday, and have the local Chevy dealership put them on next week.
Speaking of the Impala, got a nice picture of it in the mail today. :eek: When I got my son at the DC airport the other week, I must have been too preoccupied with finding my way out that I tripped a traffic camera and got a $40.00 ticket (no points) :( Nice huh?:rolleyes:

PS-679555-1710-1401150846_00649_0004_01R2I1.jpg

Its disgusting when they hide cameras to drum up revenue rather then put clear signage up so folks dont get lost/behind schedule going to and from the airport,,,,,Ok Vinnie chill, I'll shut up!:rolleyes:

William .... You mentioned Vestavia Hills. That's where I have family members, and I have gone there many times over the years.

Carey ... I'll have t omeet you guys on one of my trips to AL. Christmas was way too busy. I thought about February, but as it stands now, I'm headed to OH and MI in February. .. Maybe late February I'll go south.

Karl .... Speeding? You? .... Tsk, Tsk.

Your signwriters must also do them for Queensland too. Just gentle reminders for people who already know the way.

Guten Morgen ! :cool:
Anyvon for Toaster Strudel?? ;)

Here early today! Last full day to get stuff done, gotta be in Timonium for the show this weekend. Ought to have a good crowd....no sn*w in the forecast, temps in the low 40's with a chance of rain...up,,liquid precip,,,no frozen stuff!!:cool:

Guten Morgen ! :cool:
Anyvon for Toaster Strudel?? ;)

Here early today! Last full day to get stuff done, gotta be in Timonium for the show this weekend. Ought to have a good crowd....no sn*w in the forecast, temps in the low 40's with a chance of rain...up,,liquid precip,,,no frozen stuff!!:cool:
Pidgen Deutsch?

My isp is airlifting a new router to me by tomorrow, so I can quit typing on my cell phone. I am sure my cell phone carrier will like me not using so much data, to boot...

Good Morning from Mobile where it is 17F and sunny. Headed for a high near 50F. The great ice storm of 2014 should be over today. Off work again today, but will have to go in tomorrow. Wonder if they will make us work Sat to make up for some of the lost time? My driveway and the street in front of the house are dry and relatively ice free. I think we will venture out later in the day to see how bad the roads are so I can begin to plan how much extra time I will need for the drive to work in the morning.

Mikey, glad you finally made it home. I wouldn't have thought you would have had some much trouble making it home.

Carey, don't kids make life interesting! LOL At least you got in some extra Grandpa time.

William, hope your truck is okay when you go back to get it.

Anybody hear from Rex?

Glenn

Gotcha! The fact that it's Forty bucks, no points shows clearly that it's a Fund Raiser. There is an intersection along Route 1-9 in Jersey where there is a camera set up in one direction, but not the other. It's designed to get ya on the way to work, when the sun is in your eyes, and you might not be as alert. Ha! So much for traffic safety.........

It's like the speed detector cameras that are/were set up around the construction zone for the Martin J. O'Malley Memorial Express Toll Lanes on I-95. Fund Raiser!!!!!

Joe

Hey Gang: It's 16° and Sunny! Tomorrow it's supposed to go above freezing!

Not much going on today, maybe a few postponed chores, and errands.

Have a good one.

Joe

Back