Coffee Grinder

JazzDad

Gandy Dancer
As you may (or may'nt) recall, my 'empire' suffers greatly budget-wise. For grass, I use the ol' dyed sawdust method. However, I wonder if it might look a bit more realistic if I were to grind the sawdust to a finer consistency. And to do this grinding, a burr-type coffee grinder? (I hesitate to mention, this is the sort of tool one might use to grind cannabis. One, not me.) Thoughts?

It could
As you may (or may'nt) recall, my 'empire' suffers greatly budget-wise. For grass, I use the ol' dyed sawdust method. However, I wonder if it might look a bit more realistic if I were to grind the sawdust to a finer consistency. And to do this grinding, a burr-type coffee grinder? (I hesitate to mention, this is the sort of tool one might use to grind cannabis. One, not me.) Thoughts?
It could be said that would be the "high"light of your Empire.:D

JazzDad: Hmmm, I'd give it a try. Coffee Beans are a whole bunch harder than sawdust, so I kinda suspect that you could jam up the works. A blender might be a better plan although you may have to sift the result for different sizes...

Later

I think it improved the sawdust a lot. On the right (next to the grinder) is the 'before', and to the left (next to the grinder box) is the 'after'.

P1100336.JPG

The dust is now much finer. Not to worry -- it will be glued down on the layout, so the loco does not pick it up.

I think it improved the sawdust a lot. On the right (next to the grinder) is the 'before', and to the left (next to the grinder box) is the 'after'.

View attachment 177874

The dust is now much finer. Not to worry -- it will be glued down on the layout, so the loco does not pick it up.
I'd be more worried about breathing it in while laying it tbh.

Back