Code 55 Track and Deep Flanges

stlgevo51

N scale modeler
Hi!

I recently got back into Model Railroading (well, back in May), and decided to build an N scale layout. For the most part, everything has been moving smoothly so far. However, I came across a problem today that I don't know how to deal with.

I am using Micro Engineering Code 70 track for almost everything. However, since I needed a diamond for my track plan and they don't produce those, I went out and bought an Atlas Code 55 45 degree diamond. I liked the Atlas Code 55 product because the ties matched closely to the Micro Engineering track. While testing it today, I noticed the wheels on Micro Trains cars don't roll smoothy over the Code 55 track. The flanges are too deep and they make a rough sound while traveling over the diamond. Will this cause a derailment? Is there a way to fix it without buying a new one?

I don't have the track installed, so would it be better to just get a diamond from another source? If so, where?

Thanks!

Jake

If it's just a few cars....you can replace the trucks or maybe just the wheels. They probably have 45* degree crossings in atlas and/or peco code 80 rail. Then you would need to shim up the code 70 a bit so the tops of the rails were even.....same height.

Mike

As railfan said, you can buy low profile wheel sets to replace the pizza cutters that are giving you problems with the code 55 track or you can find the needed crossing in code 80. Either way, you will have to do a small amount of shimming to make the track match the rail heights.

The code numbers are the measurement of the rail height in thousands of an inch. That means there is. 015" difference between code 55 and code 70 and .010" difference code 80 and code 70.

If you elect to replace the wheel sets, you will need to buy wheels for the brand you are replacing, for example, buy wheels for Atlas trucks if that is what you have or MicroTrains if that's what's needed. There is a difference in the lengths of different brands.

Back