Code 100 vs. Code 83 Size of the ties

NC&StL

Okay here is a weird one. I just learned that Code 83 flex track from PECO or Atlas, will not fit in TYCO design Warren truss, or similar bridges.
The area made available for Code 100 ties to sit in perfectly, is too narrow for Code 83 ties. I thought they would be smaller!

Bob -
I thought they would be smaller!
I cannot address your specific situation directly, but many manufacturers have the same size ties for both rail sizes. 1/87 is still 1/87 regardless of the rail height. As far as "too narrow", you might be able to shave a bit off each end of all of the ties to make them fit. Note that most TYCO stuff is not the highest quality in my observation. It may be made for their less than accurate track to begin with.

Willie

I agree with Willie when it comes to the quaity of some Tyco products. You may want to look around to other manufacturers for another bridge.

Walthers makes an excellent one. I use Shinohara flex track, but there is plenty of room on the deck for any flex track on this version.

IMAG0789.jpg

Well after I posted this I did some research at the railroad. Truth is, the bridge base and the extensions I planned to use were made by (at least branded) Atlas, the side girders were cast with TYCO at the bottom middle. The Atlas Code 100 track fits perfectly in the area they designed for it, but the PECO and ATLAS Code 83 is about 1/32nd to 1/16th too wide. I may just use Code 100 in this part of the track as it is about 1 foot and a half of track involved times 2 (main line and siding), or I may crank up the electric sander with some 80 grit on it and cut 'um down to size. I will furnish a picture when it I get there. Thanks for the reply's.

Back