Cnc modeling

Hutch

I want to build my own passenger cars out of plywood and other materials. Can't seem to find anyone doing it. I'd love to hear from someone doing this on a hobby cnc lase or carving.

i did truss rod flatcars a while back ... is that close enough ??
i used a small cnc mill for some of it though..

Last edited:
I've done flat cars and cabooses (and posted about them here) with all hand tools, they were a bit fiddly but turned out reasonably well imo. I think passenger cars would be rough. If you had access to a laser cutter I'm sure it would make cutting out all those windows a whole lot easier.

I've done flat cars and cabooses (and posted about them here) with all hand tools, they were a bit fiddly but turned out reasonably well imo. I think passenger cars would be rough. If you had access to a laser cutter I'm sure it would make cutting out all those windows a whole lot easier.
I do have access to a cnc laser. I haven't used it yet but it should be easy enough to draw the parts up. I have a lot of experience with Sketchup and was getting to like FreeCADas well. I believe the world is my oyster with those things. Wouldn't hurt to add a 3D printer to the mix. I may buy a cheap one.

CNC Lasers may have some interesting applications. I have no experience with any of the cutout laser kits of buildings and cars so am not intimately familiar with their absolute capabilities. I am however quite experienced if not expert in 3D printing, which still has some witches art involved for optimal results. As with most things, cheap may not be the appropriate way to go if you want results that you will be happy with.

Here is the current progress on the White Pass 218 Parlor car via 3D printing. It is painted in Tru Color Pullman Green though the eye pad camera and window light make it look too blue. WP 218 car.jpg

Amazing things can be made laser cutting. A ship model friend in Europe used his small laser cutter to build a very authentic ships boat, plank by plank in 1:160 scale using Canson Paper which is much like Strathmore.

Back