Clubs, good or bad?

Hey!! Nice looking old B model ya got. The R model is nice too. Kinda painted like the Rubber Duck only without the sleeper. NICE!!! That old K 100 isnt too shabby either. Love old trucks!!!

Johnny B

Well, clubs are great since you can share knowledge from different people with different experiences.

You'll learn a lot from a club. But I don't think club must be this harsh. I think there are some considerations you can point out to them. Since they are much younger from you I think they would listen.

If not, why join? Have another club -- club that you can learn to and gain friends.

I enjoy the comradeship found in most clubs..There's nothing quite like going to supper or to a train show with fellow club members.

On the down side I was in one club back in the late 70s where I wasn't in one of the three "clicks".I felt more like a outsider then a member as did the other 2 new members and needless to say we quit within 18 months after joining.

clubs, good, or bad

Well guys, I've been going to this club trying to qualify for membership for several months now, and it seems each time I go to run trains, I get more flak on club rules, and the things I have to do for membership. To qualify, one must attend club meetings in the middle of the week in the evenings, well, I work nights, so asked if I could still become a member, sure they said. Well, now they came up with a new twist, I have to get club members signatures, ten to be exact, so they'll know Ive been attending, and meeting other club members. Well, it's kinda hard when you meet the same five everytime. I've only me two of those on the board who make decisions. Woonder what they'll come up with next month? As it looks now, I'm about done with clubs, to darn many rules that keep changing month to month. This is supposed to be a fun hobby, all I'm getting is politics, and we all know about politics and potitions, right?:eek::(

Sounds to me like they are giving you the proverbial "run around". I used to work shiftwork myself. Maybe you could find another group or start one yourself?

try speaking to the president or vice-president, how many member are in your club ?
im my club we are about 80 and i got to gather 4 signature and to be parrained by 2 member. Im sure you can get to a compromise. The objective of these signature is to check if you are blending well with the others. Any reasonnable person would understand that you can't get to all the meetings due to your job....

clubs, good, or bad

This club has some 180 members, so they say, but I seem to see the same small group all the time. They claim to have members all over the USA, and a couple of forgien countries. I'd like to know how these cats qualified for membership when they're not even around. This clug is in a ritzy city and that might explain some of the stuff. Who knows? but weird.

No club, regardless of what the hobby is, is worth being a member unless you feel included and have common interests with other members. I've been part of custom truck clubs in the past in various positions ranging from "just another member" all the way to the president and I feel that even the smallest problem can create a relationship that is tough to get around. Getting the run around the way it seems you are doesn't seem worth it, at least to me. If they have members all over the state/country/world, then a mandatory attendance policy cannot possibly be enforced fairly.

The bottom line is that clubs should be fun for everyone involved and the current members need to show potential members that they are enjoying themselves. Our hobby is a fun one and that's the way it should be all the time. It's kind of like this forum in a way. I have never met any members from here in a face-to-face conversation but, I have learned so much from this forum that I enjoy coming back to share in the discussions and learn a little more.

I agree
Dont join unless you feel "at home" Now after saying that I notice that all clubs have some members that just like to talk the talk. This will be the type that wants you to join but also wants you to know that they know everthing about trains and the club. they may try to push opionions and such from day one, these are also the ones that normaly will not have much talent to show because they spend so much time running their mouth they dont have time to play trains!!! make sure you found the right night to show up. you may find that there are other nights that more "down to earth" members attend?

As Carl Said if you cant walk in find a good group or a few members that share the same intrests you wont have fun at it. I belong to 2 clubs ones is 150+ members the other is under 50???? both clubs have the same group of guys that come down on diffrent nights of the week. Sometimes we all call ahead to make sure were all meeting. We may avoid certain nights as other groups may run modern era stuff that we are not into. Some times we set up photo sessions and operations? We all get along but know that the membership of any large club will form "clicks" its just a part of life.

I can go on and on but you will figure it out. give it some time and you will see what works for you.

Good luck
Trent

Thanks guys, I'm still up in the air on this club deal. Now I need ten signatures to join, still another change in rules. I'd quit the deal right now, but after re marrying, my now wife has two homes, both four bedroom, and I can't have a layout room, so I continue to go over to this darn club. Guess I'll save up for an enclosed trailer and put it in it, park it in the driveway until it gets hot here in the Phoenix area, then haul it to the high country in the summer. What a crappy deal.

Thanks guys

Yesterday I finally got to meet all the qualifications, and can now become a member, this is great, now I can have a place to play, and yes, I am going to join. One guy was able to run an 83 car train while I was there, and it was impressive. His home layout is a modest 3x5 he pulls from under his bed, so I don't feel so bad anymore.

I'm glad that it all worked out for you in the end and I wish you many happy sessions running trains. :) An 83 unit train would be a pretty cool sight.

Back