Cat problem

Also when dealing with cats it is best if you start when they are kittens. Keeping them out is the best solution,but not always possible.

I agree that distraction works best. Try hanging a sturdy bird cage in the same room. :D

My big Maine Coon cat is terrified of any model trains. The permanent HO layout and especially the Lionel trains on the living room floor at Christmas time. :eek:

Once the trains move or make noise he will rip you to shreds to get out of the room.

I haven't been on here since I started this post. Looks like I missed some out on some ways to deal with the cat. My motive is not to hurt the cat, but try to sway him to hang out somewhere else. In the pix below is a summary of the layout. Its a 25 foot by 10 foot by 10 foot wrap around the wall dogbonish continous loop. It comes out into the room six feet but is pretty much stays two feet from the wall. Besides all the neat train stuff the cat is interested in there are two windows above that you see in the pix that most likely is the key to the cat's interest that I will try closing the blinds. I've only opened them to provide some light and life into the room along with discouraging spiders from making their dwelling there. I suppose I will have to make due. The cats main place to hang out is where the coal mine which is under construction. Thanks for the good advice

I haven't had a problem with my cat hanging out in the RR room, ie garage. He as a younger cat, would jump up on the layout during some construction, but when he pushed a heavy Bowser ex-PRR K4 4-6-2, with many extra brass details applied, to the floor from its perch over a distance of 5', I decided to fight back. I filled a spray bottle with water, and anytime I caught him on the layout, he got wet.

He no longer gets on the layout, but loves to come down and share a chair, or sit in his own, and watch me work. This is allowed.

Keep a catnip plant in a pot outside the door of the train room. That is more interesting to them. After a few bites, its nap time.

Mine gets hyperactive on catnip, for a real loonngg time, although we do keep a plant for him. As it is now, he sleeps more than any other cat we've ever had!

I don't know about your cats, but I noted that back when was a kid one of the tricks we used to keep them off of spots was to occasionally hit the area's with water that has some citrus in it: evidently cats don't like oranges, and stays away from them.

if it works for yours, not only will it keep the cats away, it makes the layout room smell nicer.

I HAVE MY LAYOUT IN AN OPEN BASEMENT, AND THE CAT GET UP ON THE LAYOUT & WOULD EAT THE TREES...ARGGGH!!! I put cables up near the ceiling and have a series of shower curtains that surround the layout. It looks like crime lab. lol

Back