Cardstock

Unless you need the white surface, a simple source of a light cardstock is manila folders. I use them all the time (even at work) for mockups and creating 3d models of ideas. Once you get the pattern correct, you can then use a heavier stock. I even use manila folder ‘stock’ as a pattern for sheet metal work.

I use cereal boxes for cardstock sometimes. A couple of my scratch build buildings have cereal box material covered with strips of black spray painted newsprint as tarpaper roofing. I found that if i sprinkle some fine ashes from a fire over the wet black paint, I can get a weathered affect that adheres fairly well.

The sturdiest material that I found is the cardboard packaging around light bulbs. It is super rigid and sturdy.

Some of the places I have used these materials have survived several years as well as moving the model buildings. I usually use the CCA glue to adhere everything I do.

I have some pictures in my album in my user profile. The tall Emily Inn hotel is made almost entirely from cereal boxes. It is in my building album.

logandsawman

I attended a pretty good clinic at the NMRA National on cardstock modeling. That fellow recommended 115 pound cardstock, which you can get at Office Depot. A ream is around fifteen bucks if memory serves. His clinic on cardstock buildings was really good. Clever Models has a website that offers kits, or just basic textures like brick walls and so forth. Most printers will take the 115 pound stuff. By layering it you can get really neat effects on buildings. Looks like interesting stuff to work with. Take a building roof for example. He had one done with three layers, palnking, felt, and shingles, and his roof with missing shingles, torn felt, and exposed planking looked very good. I have a kit of a company house I'm going to try. Lots of #11 X-acto blades and ACC!!!

When I print out buildings from carstock I always print 3 copies,In use the first two have evey door and window cut out,3rd gets any glass areas cut out (use fresh blades for this) then the layers are laminated together.This gives a very nice 3 D effect to the building.A good supply of fresh #11 blades is a nust.If you can find them the surgicals are best as they have a much finer cutting edge and stay sharper longer.

Back