Can you identify these engines.

They all appear to be athearn which is why i purchased them, the seller didnt know anything about them .

The center one in the pic does have a mashima motor in it, and what appears to be a circuit board.

Im just not up to par on the names of the engines.

I did pick em all up for about $16.50 each which i didnt think was bad by any means. They all run ect.. and theres a bunch of extra detail parts & stuff included.

7470_1.jpg

Top one is an Athearn FM Trainmaster, the 2nd looks like an Athean GP9 (actually a GP7) with the top of the shell is on backwards, and the 3rd is same with the cab missing.

Actually, the second unit is a Front Range GP7. The other two are Athearns as RRShutterbug pointed out.

Dan

The top one is a Train Master shell but the drive looks like it belongs to an SD45. It might fit but it's the wrong drive.

Andy

Top left: I agree, athearn sd45 frame with the older wide electric motor, the jet motor?
Top right: I agree,Athearn fm trainmaster shell
middle left: Looks like a frame specific to the front range shell, looks to be cast alot better than the athearn frame.
middle right: I agree, front range shell
bottom left: Athearn bb gp7/9 drive
Bottom right: Athearn gp7/9 shell missing a few pieces. It looks like the fans are missing too besides the cab.

Got the stuff in guys here better pics and what little info i can give? What i know i will have above the pic.

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

#2 GP7 somewhat fits on the frame but i dont believe its the correct frame any ideas??
DSC00347.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

#3 GP9 fits on frame perfectly, mashima motor, not sure who made the frame, but the bottom covers on the trucks say (TAPPS) on them. any ideas on this one?
DSC00349.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

#4 extra detail parts that came with the stuff for various models. im wondering what the side frames and the front piece are for??
DSC00352.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

thanks mike

Well, #1 is an Athearn FM Trainmaster shell but it looks like an Athearn SD something chassis since the trucks are not the correct trimount trucks for a Trainmaster.

#2 appears to be an Athearn GP-7 shell that someone started to modify for a Cannon cab and do some fan replacements. The chassis doesn't look right at all. I swear that's a standard Athearn F unit so it wouldn't fit the Geep at all.

The chassis of # 3 is not standard Athearn. I'm guessing maybe Front Range. Someone did a nice repower job by the looks of it. I can't see enough detail on the shell but that looks like it might be Front Range as well.

Strange collection of beasts you have there. :)

Did some looking and the part # was on the frame in the 3rd pic, it is an F7 frame, but what i thought was an athearn F7 shell must not be so ill have to wait till the batch of parts i ordered comes in for some athearn F7 shells

as far as the one that has been repowerd boy does it run smooth!!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Athearn H24-66 Train Master shell cut to pieces, with an old (pre-1985) Athearn SD45/SDP40 drive.

2. Athearn GP7, post 1985.

3. Front Range GP7. Good motor, shell ok for its time, trucks are really bad.

Parts: Look like somebody's metal GE FB2 trucks there. Forget who made them; two Cannon cab kits in the bag, a Cannon high nose assembled, another Cannon high nose in pieces, and a Front range high nose. Detail associates air reservoirs and cab vents. The Details West parts look like they are for a switcher but can't make out what they are.

The Cannon parts are old. Gordon stopped molding them in black plastic probably around 1992-93. They have been gray ever since, and continue to be gray since Dave took over.

Andy

Back