Can anyone confirm these are Athearn or Bachmann Passenger Cars.

Smudge617

I should have asked this earlier before I started this project, so my apologies.

There are no manufacturer markings on these anywhere and I would like to add interiors, but which ones would fit, I think these are Athearn Heavyweight (??) Streamlined passenger cars is this correct ?

1705842507220.jpeg

1705842568977.jpeg

1705842617283.jpeg

Those are Athearn shorty streamline passenger cars. In the box, they usually had the windows included.
I know very little about passenger car models, but they are definitely Athearn. The metal coupler box cover gives them away.
They all had windows except the observation car which had styrene replacements, I just removed them to make it easier to paint.

Thank you, Gentlemen, I wasn't 100% certain they were Athearn but as the only place I can find interiors for passenger cars is at Gold Rush Bay in CA, I thought before shelling out for the postage it might be prudent to check, so again, thank you both.

I have a few. I always painted the weights. Glad I did.
Yes, I've also started doing that to mine, you never see them but it's nice to know they look respectable.

Last edited:
The dome car is definitely an Athearn "shorty" passenger car. It is modelled after the "pattern dome" of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, based on the angular windows. I think the Santa Fe also used this pattern, rather than the curved domes manufactured by the Budd company.

The dome car is definitely an Athearn "shorty" passenger car. It is modelled after the "pattern dome" of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, based on the angular windows. I think the Santa Fe also used this pattern, rather than the curved domes manufactured by the Budd company.
Thank you.

Back