C & S West SL RR - Work Resumes!

Trussrod

Work on the C & S West SL RR begins again!

Well I finally did a fair amount of work on the C & S West SL yesterday, 10-05-08. I removed the butcher paper I had drawn the track plan on for the area it covered which contained the Serpha Copper & Iron Works sideing plus the Anglin Oil & Kerosene Facility - S&A sideing, and it's outside loading facility sideing with its overhead delivery pipe lines. Should be interesting when finished.

I first marked the the main line track on the sound board, the light colored side of the board, an then marked the S&A sideing, which I had to change a few times to get the required room desired as this was going to be on a raised section about 3.5' scale feet higher than the main line due to the lay of the land, hills in the rear or South and to the North also, and the overhead delivery pipes to the outside sideing. I then marked the AoF sideing in.

Then I determined the depth of the raised section and cut another piece of sound board for it and screwed it in place over the existing sound board. I then went about redrawing the track on the raised section.

This raised section requires a very sturdy retaining wall to be built to ensure the stability of the S&A sidding as it's not to far back from the edge so the workers got right to the job and put up one section of retaining wall right away. Built from stained wood Coffee stirrers and stained wood fireplace match sections to give a heavy rustic appearance.

Photos will be psoted shortly when the camera batteries are recharged, darn Engersizers won't hold their charge for very long any more. Guess the Bunny is Crapping-Out and only after about 125 recharges too? Going to switch to the new batteries that hold their charge for up to a year by Rayovac or longer if they are available!?

I have yet to glue down the wood ties for these tracks but that's what I plan
on doing today and probably even spiking down some rail too!

For those who are unfamiliar with layout in progress a track plan and some photos are available under my user name. The layout is in a 10 x 21 foot area
and although I have a long way to go on it I'm going to try to have the main line done by Christmas of this year, 2008. That means I've got about 70' of hand laid track plus a few more tables to build and all the risers toget into position along with the roadbed, should be interseting!

Check back as I'll post photos and more info as work continues.

To continue, the construction of the Serpha & Anglin sideings have been held up a bit more than expected but some work has taken place as the following pictures and descriptions will show and give you a good idea of what these sidings will be like when completed.

This a wide angle view of the Serpha Copper & Iron Works, the unfinished stone building, as well as the Anglin Oil Co.
S_A_1_on_C_SWsl_Crvs-Reszd_305x203_DSCF5065.jpg

The next shot is a bit closer and somewhat looking down on the two sideings and the single track mainline.
S_A_close_shot_Crvs_shrp_Reszd_305x203_DSCF5067.jpg

This shot showes the switches from a rather odd angle but it was the only way to photograph it easily.
http://www.modelrailroadphotos.com/..._sideing_Crvs_Shrp_Reszd_305x203_DSCF5072.jpg

This a Close-Up showing the Tie distressing at the beginning of the S&A curved switch as the line drops down from Horse Meadows Depot.
http://www.modelrailroadphotos.com/...Semi-Close-up_Crvs_Reszd_305x203_DSCF5081.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
David,

Any chance of posting slightly larger photos? These old eyes have trouble seeing anything that small...

Hi Ken & Jim,
I did repost my shots at a much larger size so I hope you got a chance to view them?
I'll have to admit that the images I had posted were too small even for me. The new ones you can view with no problem.

Wok on the S&A sidings and main line have continued with most all the ties, except for the short incline to the raised section, being laided, distressed & stained. They do look much more like old weathered ties for the most part and I may go over a few with some Grey stain to enhance their appearance a bit too.

The ramp section to the raised portion where the Serpha Iron Works is and Anglin Oil is causing me a bit of trouble as I didn't pre plan on cutting the sound board base before I installed the raised portion so this adds to the fun of trying to figure out how to accomplish creating the need ramp/incline.

I'll post a picture or two here a little later.

Back