Butte Montana New Guy

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Second post here. I know nothing about Model Rail Road. I have a new interest in building an outdoor G-Scale rail road. Looking for information and making connections in the Butte area.

Thanks

D

Second post here. I know nothing about Model Rail Road. I have a new interest in building an outdoor G-Scale rail road. Looking for information and making connections in the Butte area.

Thanks

D
So glad you included that 'e'.. Not many G Scalers, but maybe you can bring them out.
Welcome.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Welcome to the Forum. I'm not far from you in Gallatin Gateway but am not aware of any modelers in the Butte area. I do get to Butte from time to time. Was there last week and had a great lunch at the Metals.

I'm also not aware of any people into G scale. I have seen many outstanding outdoor G scale layouts on YouTube. I would love to have an outdoor G scale myself but never build it.

I belong the the Livingston Model Railroad Club in Livingston, which is HO scale. In April, we usually have a train show at the old Northern Pacific Depot, which is now a museum, and the following day there is usually a show up in Helena, You might consider checking these shows out and you might meet someone there.

Sirfoldalot

Plucked Tailfeathers
Staff member
Hey there!
Glad to have you here ... I have a G set that I run around the Christmas Tree. I wish I was younger and I would have a backyard full of it. Climate here is awesome for doing that.
I should have done it years ago, but I became involved with a guy a couple miles away who lives on 20 acres and has over 3 miles of 7.5 inch gauge. I helped him build over a mile of new track and then we started replacing his older rail with new rail and ties.
Sorry, got carried away there - welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the Forum. I'm not far from you in Gallatin Gateway but am not aware of any modelers in the Butte area. I do get to Butte from time to time. Was there last week and had a great lunch at the Metals.

I'm also not aware of any people into G scale. I have seen many outstanding outdoor G scale layouts on YouTube. I would love to have an outdoor G scale myself but never build it.

I belong the the Livingston Model Railroad Club in Livingston, which is HO scale. In April, we usually have a train show at the old Northern Pacific Depot, which is now a museum, and the following day there is usually a show up in Helena, You might consider checking these shows out and you might meet someone there.
I lived in Great Falls for about 10 years and spent some time looking at their HO scale at the fair grounds. I was more into RC planes at the time and spent most of my hobby time with RC aircraft. I have always liked model trains, planes, and automobiles. Lots of HO cars and track when younger, short stint with HO train on a 4 x 8 plywood. I am a machinist and welder by profession enjoy all types of mechanical stuff and hobbies. I will try to check out the Livingston train show.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Back in the 80's I used to go up to Great Falls and help the club during state fair. I would bring up a number of locomotives and freight cars as they needed trains running during state fair. I also had a good friend in Cascade who was also involved wit the club and had one heck of a layout at his ranch. I was considered a member of the club even I couldn't attend any meetings due to the distance. The club is now part of the Montana Museum of Railroad History.

As soon as I find out what date the train shows are, I'll let you know.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Te train show in Livingston is on April 27 in the main level of the old depot and runs from 8 AM until about 1 PM. The club layout is in the basement of the old baggage building just to the west of the main building. There is a wine bar on street level, but there are signs at the entrance to the basement.

By the way, I am quite into cars also. Have a few 1:1, about a hundred 1/24 scale Danbury Mint and Franklin Mint die casts and I have been collecting HO scale vehicles for over 30 years, try to get the most accurate ones I can. I model the transition era set in 1957. Vehicles are proably one of the easiest ways to set a time period. Here are a few photos. Click on them to enlarge.

20181028_164648.jpg 20181108_141308.jpg 20181108_141410.jpg

20181111_161620.jpg 20181028_162709.jpg 20180113_151715.jpg

thumbnail_20190113_121732.jpg thumbnail_20190113_130505.jpg thumbnail_20181227_141312.jpg

Hope to see you in April. You'll most likely find me down in the club because we have to have trains running during the show.

Chet,
You really have quite the car collection. Nice pictures. April 27 is still a long way off but I will try to make it down.

Sirfoldalot,
I have been doing some research into 7 1/2 rail road also. I have 12 acres of wooded land with open parks as well as lots of huge granite rocks the size of cars. I live at the base of an abandon ski area. It would be cool to have a rail road around my property. I have lots of deer, elk, and moose that visit and have been thinking a G-Scale outdoors my get tramped on, where as 7 1/2 may withstand an occasional moose print. I am a machinist and welder by trade and have a full welding and machine shop in my home shop. Building engines, cars, and track sort of appeals to me.

D

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com