Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Back to my 3 most important model railroading thoughts. Number 1 was using Woodland Scenics Earth Undercoat on top of anything white. All plasters for example. Don't use latex instead of Earth Undercoat. Too dull. Number 2 is road cuts for your train track. Be a step ahead in your modeling not a step behind. Number 3 is layering. What? Layering, even in Number 3 position is probably the most important for realistic scenery. Layering is the piling on of scenic material covering the first layer, then the second and so on. Maybe some pics. First, is a single layer of scenic material being applied. Second pic, is one layer. The difference is easy to see in the last pic.. But we are not finished, more layers MUST be added for realism.
IMG_1586.JPG
the 'salting' technique on top of scenic cement from a spray bottle.
IMG_1585.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG

A great discovery! When I finish my 'last' layout a few years ago I tossed a lot of stuff. I put my packages of ground covers in a bigger bag. I saw a bunch of loose ground cover stuff in the bottom of the bigger bag. I dipped in my hand an came out with the best p
IMG_1590.JPG
ossible ground cover.
IMG_1591.JPG

Wiring! I'm no expert, I have always followed directions in whatever book on electricity was in my hand. This layout is so easy to wire even I could do it after a three year absence. Red and black/white. I'm old fashion so red and black is my choice of wire. Didn't have white actually!

A nice fellow in Canada made me a curved turnout that fits the circle. I told him I was not going use the turnout just straight through traffic. More on that later. I soldered red and black to the track and it works! Remember my foam cutter? Check out the photos below. No muss, no fuss.
IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1575.JPG

Just remember to NOT use acid core for anything electrical. Note that acid core does work for doing metal buildings as it cleans better than rosin core. Only use Rosin core on anything electrical. Also note that there is bigger rosin core - so it depends on how much mass you need to solder. I mean, the 0.032 can be used for big stuff, although you go through it faster once stuff heats up and the solder is transferred. Bigger solder, bigger soldering iron!

Back