Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Toot, Well said. I think most of us would rather look at pictures however. That is why the Contests are kinda fun. Although I'm open to any other types it looks like illusion will have to play a big part in the 600,000 one. Not much on this layout so to make enough changes a good monitor will sort out fact or fiction. Jim;)

My first glance at the pillars gave the impression of:
3pillars1.jpg
The right one reminded me of a conquistador

Last edited by a moderator:
On30 being narrow gauge is traditionally laid without ballast. Simply the weight of the loco on wet ground sets the track in place. Many of these narrow gauge roads, especially logging, were actually picked up and moved to different locations. Money and time saved. In this desert setting I experimented with N scale roadbed to just lift the track a little bit. Didn't look good at all. So after laying the N scale roadbed down I tore it all up and decided to stick to tradition narrow gauge track laying. It does look better, I just don't know why. Some narrow gauge roads did have ballast so I'm splitting the difference and using ballast but not raising the track. I'm fond of Arizona Rock & Mineral products. Also I found some great colored sand at Michaels. Jim:)

IMG_0193_zpsgztp9d9a.jpg

IMG_0195_zpsmmcf91tk.jpg

Dan, Do you have my email address? Send me your email address via private messages here and I want to contact you about something. Thanks, Jim

I've been hassling for a week trying to make the Micro Engineering turnout work and I can't do it. So I'm giving up and using the old Peco one from the last 4 layouts! Fricking nightmare.

Here we see the turnout in place and drying until tomorrow. Once the track is down and a few more plants to plant I'm done with another one. Jim:D

IMG_0206_zpscnuge56g.jpg

Startiing to lay the mainline track:

IMG_0208_zpsbs70pgdt.jpg

Notice the weights on the next section. What I've learned about laying flex track over the years is to have patience. I lay one section at a time. I glue it down with WS Foam Tack Glue. Eileen's tacky glue works too. I put the weights on so the track cannot move and let dry over night before adding another piece of flex. If you are doing a long straight section you can glue flex down until you run out of weights. My layouts have many curves so I'm happy with short sections. And, YES, regardless of scale I always solder at the track joiners on the layout side not the viewing side. Jim:)

RR, Good question. Here is a photo I just took of the final track laying and joining. Since I deal with many curves my flex track is always out of whack. If you mean do I cut the 'inside'/short side rail I guess I do. I try to only cut one rail if at all possible.

IMG_0209_zpsw3lnedgn.jpg

I think I know where you're coming from; I saw an article on track cutting in the last two weeks. Maybe it was on Youtube? It mentioned having your joins in different places, like prototypical rails, to make the curves smoother. Well, that makes sense to me, but since I deal with more curves and S's than most I have my joins fairly even and across from each other. I've done so many flex track curves that simply cutting one rail seems second nature. Also, you use less sleeper ties than you would trying to be prototypical. Either way is fine. My way means using pins and weights to make sure the track stays straight with no kinks while drying, not a problem. Works for me. Lastly, notice the track curve gauge on the track. This device I find VERY helpful in maintaining correct curves and aid in keeping your curve correct while drying. Jim:)

Trust me on this: Today I ran every loco I have, that works, around my layout. Only one hit anything and I've fixed that so after the holiday I will finish up with ballast and planting around the outside of the track. I have two bridges to finish and three culverts to do and that should do it. Jim:eek:

I'm taking the holiday off. I should be back on Tuesday next week. But before I leave I thought I would build a bridge. As stated before I like to build trestles in place attaching them to the bottom of the track. This time I thought it would be cool to use most of the old wood from the other layout that I ripped off the layout and threw in a box to be thrown away later. So with glue and broken pieces I've begun.

IMG_0210_zpsivm2w0oy.jpg

A couple of hours later I'm done. What I'm trying to show is what may be a rebuilt bridge by this PCM&T sub that has little money and willing to take their chances until the next flash flood. Have a great weekend. :eek: Jim

IMG_0211_zpsabfbptye.jpg

Back