Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Pretty much finished with Dead Tree Depot. Just a bit of weathering and some signals. I like building the scratch items, but I'm no expert. Jim:)
IMG_8247_zpseazlhtfm.jpg

Thanks for the rocks, Jim. Have any suggestions/recommendations for doing these rocks?

Shay%20on%20HO3_zpsnyco5thj.jpg

IMG_3773132.jpg

I'm working on an N module that needs more the of the smoother face cliff. Carve while almost dry I assume. Other tips & techniques?

Thanks,
Walt

Walt, I have tried to get 'smooth' rocks from Sculptamold. What I have done is use my hobby knife or better a paint scraper dipping it in water before each pass across the Sculptamold. Results may not be what you want but it does work. Water is the key. I wait about 10 minutes of drying time before smoothing. Personally I would tend to cast plaster molds if you can find the right type for rocks you want. Plaster is able to be smoothed to very nice surface. I've even used sand paper. Naturally the photo just above is all sand. Jim :)

How about with hydrocal? That's what I'm using, and it looks like you may have used it or plaster for those cliffs.

I'd like to replicate something closer to this:
BronsonCave-1.jpg

Thanks...
W

Walt, Woodland Scenic makes Lightweight Hydrocal. I have used it in the past. That train on the big cliff above is all Scuptamold. Your scene above looks made to order for using Sculptamold, coloring can be added no problem. In the desert photo above I use many pounds of real sand from Arizona Rock & Mineral Co. No hydrocal was used on that layout. This photo below is hydrocol and WS molds. Jim:)

Approaching%20Cliff%20Bridge_zpsxkvxyftk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that scene should be part of the youtube video, "World's most dangerous railroads". Or it's an example of an early Klingon railroad.

Thanks, Jim. That gives me a few ideas.

And I agree with Toot. Wonder if it was made by aliens, like the pyramids...

I like cliffs. Left over from my climbing days I guess. Because I super elevate this type of scene I've never lost a train. Jim CM&T;)

Back to the layout: One of the issues of building a "backwoods" type layout is realizing that things you take for granted, like ballasting are usually no longer viable. In the 'backwoods' miners and loggers could not afford ballast for the most part. These small operators put down the ties, spiked the rails and moved on. "Ballasting" was accomplished by running the loco slowly over the rails, generally on wet ground, and the weight of the loco pushed the ties into the ground. Simple, cheap, and since these locos seldom exceeded 15 MPH safe enough. In this first photo we see some regular ground cover filling in around the ties.

IMG_8249_zpswve1738l.jpg

When it is filled in to my liking I spray glue it all and let sit for 24 hours. After that I come back an treat the track and the surrounding area the same as far as scenery goes. Since it is all shaken onto the area it will fill in some blanks and gaps in the ties making it look like they are simply overgrown with weeds. Like this:

IMG_8250_zpsg8thmkwb.jpg

This is all wet with glue, but when dry it will look even better. This would complete the second, third, fourth, and fifth layers of scenic material. Notice on the second photo on the hump on the lower right how layers of static grass have appeared. I'm still not convinced that static grass machines are the way to go. I have one and used it once. Jim:)

So 24 hours later and a bit of planting I think you can see where I'm going here. I don't have a 'real' tunnel so I'm making one with a few trees. Pins are holding the right tree until the glue dries. Jim:)

IMG_8251_zpsozczwxsh.jpg

Thanks RR. Here is basically the final photo of this area. More planting inside the ties and a third tree planted for the tree tunnel. Jim:)

IMG_8252_zpsaxo6op3b.jpg

Jim, I think I may be here in hospital. I an not on computer and don't have the passwords list in this phone. If you would, let the folks over at n scale community that I had valley fever and it has picked now to bite me again. I can't breathe well enough to keep off oxygen . Will be on it after all. This just sucks!! Don't have any idea how long or what plan of recovery they have in store. Merry Christmas to you all and will try and.keep you all up to date.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks fellows. I am weak right now. I 'm getting pt right now. Trying g to get back off the o2. I tried to do a bit of a walk this morning. Didn't last very long on the floor. They had to hold me and slide a wheelchair under me. Blood ox showed I had dropped to below the 90's. Should be in the mid to upper 90'S. I would love to be home for Christmas! Hope you have a good Christmas. Talk later, Dan

Get well soon Dan.

Next up is the 'back' of the layout. I decided all along to have some small rock pinnacles there. I didn't build them until now because I had reach issues building the center of the layout. So, some rolled up newspaper and some plaster cloth. Jim:)

IMG_8255_zpsxuesytnz.jpg

IMG_8256_zpsoh7vbtq6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Toot, You are too clever! :eek: I'm glad you pointed that out. I wasn't going to, but I can't get much by you. Good on ya.

I have most of the track along the 'back' finished with scenery. Some work to do on the pinnacles to go. Looks like I'm going to run out of Sculptamold again. I will see if I can get by with 5 lbs. this time instead of 25 lb. bags. Jim :)

IMG_8271_zpswnwsmfzz.jpg

Back