Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Good Luck, Jim. Gull Bladders are a pretty routine thing, so there's nothing too much to worry about. Looking forward to hearing from you on Thursday.

Good luck, Jim. Modern medicine is amazing. You can't even feel when they apply the leeches ;)

I just got back a few hours ago from a stay in the hospital myself. I met a lot of very kind and caring staff. The nurses and other med staff are truly unsung heros.

Dan, I suppose you are alluding to 'spray foam' of which I'm not a fan. Anyway, was the article complete? No one just leaves foam uncovered on a layout. Virtually impossible to add scenery to it?? As for any foam, spray or otherwise, it will not deteriorate once covered by plaster cloth. I'm showing the way I did a layout in these photos to you and everyone to show you the simplest, least painful way to build a small layout. There are many ways, some difficult, some not so much. Me, I like my way. Jim:D

I have built several underwater creations for fish tanks using foam and grout and I've noticed the green foam responds strangely when the sealer soaks through the grout this is the only foam I've noticed do that (I've used blue pink and white as well depending on where I was living at the time) I wouldn't see any deterioration unless affected by a leaching glue it would leave a air pocket below the grout shell. I can't say as to spray foam as I've never cared for it. Hope this gives a little help.

Yep, I used white and spray to get the type of terrain i was looking for then covered with plaster cloth. I used WS plaster cloth on it. All covered and then went from there. Jim is right about whatever you use to build the base layout, that plaster makes a lot of differences as to how it looks. I really like how mine turned out. This is a small layout so i still needed 4 rolls to do the base. The mountains have a combination of spray over the white and then paper rolls into balls and then covered up with the plaster. I used drywall mud for the features of the mountains. Maybe not the best way to do it but it came out really good. I just hope that down the road the drywall won't turn back to powder. I think it was a vinyl type of drywall. I have some shots over in the N scale listed as the Greenbrier logging and lumber co R.R. Co.

Hi, guys,

Jim wants me to let you know that his next contest will be delayed for a few more days. He is still in hospital after his gallbladder surgery. Developed a couple of minor complications today, nothing serious, but has delayed his coming home. Hopefully, he'll be home by tomorrow or Friday. If he's a good boy and follows doctor's orders (and mine), I'll let him back on the computer then.

He says Hi to all of you.

Cheers,
Gayle (aka Nurse Ratchett)

Hope Jims doing well and being a good paitent ...

OleSmokey- how did the drywall react with the surrounding as it dried ... Mud is very moisture drawing as it drys ... You didn't have any areas that separated from the base?

Okay, I'm back. Sore, but feeling better each day. Just about 1000 posts to go. Depending how I feel maybe we can get the Contest started on time. We'll see. Thanks for the well wishes. Jim :)

Didn't have any issues. It was on plaster and it didn't do anything to it. No cracking or nothing out of the ordinary.That section had both plaster and under it spray foam with a foam bed. It came out good though. I was looking at it yesterday and was happy with it.

Jim, Glad you are back. Hope you feel better, Dan

1000 views to go. I'm going to start the Contest the following Noon after we hit 400,000. I just took a photo of the N Scale trees and it is included below. There looks like way more than a 100 so good luck if you are in N Scale. The are big trees, eighty footers. I will post the rules and my thoughts on how to lose the Contest on the first day or even the first hour. Best of luck. Jim:)

IMG_8112_zpsypssszns.jpg

Those are really nice looking trees there Jim. Looking forward to the contest. How are you doing? Hope better. Don't do to much till you are stronger, Dan

Back