Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Bill, I've read about scenery goop and when push comes to shove I try to keep it simple. Actually, this sounds a lot like Sculptamold. The basic premise of these 310 pages is modeling with readily available products, mostly premade. Scenery goop is a bit over the top for me. Look at the list of ingredients. Then look at Woodland Scenic mold-a-scene product and you have essentially the same 'goop' all ready made for you. You just have to add water. My little village road is made using this product. Coloring and some sand added to get the color and texture the way I wanted. Like many things in this hobby there is more than one way to skin the cat. I generally choose, from experience I might add, to do it the cheapest and easiest way. Jim :)

Sometimes going out to get the mail is more fun than normal. Yesterday I got these in the mail.
three%20new%20additions_zpsdcekugv3.jpg

I had the critter and now there is something else for it to pull. Jim:D

PS I had to take down a tree to get this photo. I'm not planning on gluing it back in. First one gone!

Bill, I've read about scenery goop and when push comes to shove I try to keep it simple. Actually, this sounds a lot like Sculptamold. The basic premise of these 310 pages is modeling with readily available products, mostly premade. Scenery goop is a bit over the top for me. Look at the list of ingredients. Then look at Woodland Scenic mold-a-scene product and you have essentially the same 'goop' all ready made for you. You just have to add water. My little village road is made using this product. Coloring and some sand added to get the color and texture the way I wanted. Like many things in this hobby there is more than one way to skin the cat. I generally choose, from experience I might add, to do it the cheapest and easiest way. Jim :)
Jim, you certainly are right about one thing, there is more than one way of doing things. For me, though, I have only have about $20 in all my ingredients. I can mix multiple batches and have more than enough material for the price of 1 container of Mold-a-scene. For me its not about the easiest way, but about the cheapest way. I use real dirt for basic texture and its free. But this is what makes the world go 'round - freedom of choice. One way is not better than the other just different. This is just my opinion. I, for one, would never put down your methods as is evident from your photos they are very successful. I mean no disrespect. Bill:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photo, Jim. Like your little Davenport. Did you bash it or buy it that way? Looks really good. I have 2 that are being built into boxcabs. Who makes the ore cars and caboose or are they scratchbuilt? I really like the looks of them and would like to get some of the ore cars to put behind my Porters. I am really going to hate to see your layout go, but looking forward to seeing an all On30 layout. Ron

Bill, No worries. I just don't want to get my hands dirty!

Sherrel, Welcome back. I hope you are feeling better.

Ron, I bought the Davenport a couple of years ago. As I get older I'm less inclined to do stuff like this anymore. As for the ore cars, this is the same fellow that did my buildings, Ronnie Davis. He is selling stuff on the On30 section of ebay all the time, goes by davis6266 . These ore cars where made from the frames of the little caboose in the photo. Note the steps. They're different, so I bought them. He will do special orders. Jim:)

Jim,
So sorry to hear of the health issues. I don't touch base as often as I should. I'm looking for a photo in this thread where there is a "wrecked" loco off to one side. I believe it was a casting. Can you or someone else help me find info on it?
Prayers, my friend
Michael

Michael thank you. No worries right now. Just getting older. As for you, you are one of our longest contributors here and we wish you would drop by more often.

I think the photo you are referring to is Post 177, on Page 18. Rusty Rails is the manufacturer. Give them a Google.

Jim :)

Toot, Those three guys have job security.

dmirguy, Welcome. Career Diplomats seemingly are always safe. but that is for another site. I checked out your site. Very good work going on there. Well done. Jim:eek:

Jim - thank you!
I'd like to say it keeps me out of trouble...
I'd like to say I'm young and handsome...
I think I'll just say how much I've enjoyed this thread and the great ideas and photos you provide.

No worries guys, I don't have much else to do these days so this site is fun and keeps me out of trouble, sort of! Jim :eek:

I'm always amazed at your pictures, you can't see any flaws (I'm sure there's none)
The meticulous attention taken towards details is the key to your pictures and of course, the art of photography
Well done

Hawk, Welcome. I can't remember if you've posted here before. Glad you like the site. Please participate as much as you want. The more the merrier. I checked your blog, nice. Jim :eek:

The layout's days are getting shorter so I'm taking some final pictures. Here is one I call, "Shop Built" as this consist was not store bought. I enjoy putting these things together. Jim:)

PS What is new in the photo?

shop%20built_zpsa7xtzkqu.jpg

Your engine man has changed ...PS I don't recall the green truck in previous pictures
Also the ore car in the tender position appears lighter in this pic and he's picked up a different set of cars

Back