Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

I know I've stated that track work is the single most important objective for we model railroaders. While I'm not really a train nut I will admit to usually having less than perfect track because it is the scenery that is most important to me. On my last layout coming this year, I will build the 'old fashion way,' track will be perfect BEFORE I begin scenery, covered up afterwards. Because of trying to get the most layout in my space available I've had to cut corners and do much of my scenery first. Back to front mostly. It is tough to lean on or over pre-laid track doing scenery this way, but something I had to do to prevent wrecking my track. So, perfect track first if you can! Jim :)

Here is a photo I just took. Lighting was right and I think it came out alright. Jim:)

Number%2039%20in%20the%20Aspens_zpswlfokbny.jpg

Did you make the aspens in the background? I remember them mentioned before, but I don't remember where or how. They are exquisite. Bill:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, I've wanted to make aspens for years. I did not make these. They are Grand Central Gems made in Tijuana about 20 miles south of me. I was in my LHS and they had two boxes on sale so I bought 'em. Normally I make all my own trees. Jim:eek:

How are you doing physically Jim ? I've had a tough past week but I'm getting through it. I've been concerned about you.

Michael, Hey! Great to hear from you. I'm just getting older and step slower these days. How are you and where have you been? Still modeling I hope. Check the thread and tell me what you think. Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Noah, Hey! Great to hear from you. I'm just getting older and step slower these days. How are you and where have you been? Still modeling I hope. Check the thread and tell me what you think. Jim
Yes, still modeling and still in HO. Hope to be doing some narrow gauge HO at some point when finances allow. I hang out mostly at the MRH forum but have been meaning to get around to looking at some others so here I am. Layout looks great as usual!
Michael

Michael, Good to hear you're still in the game. Thanks for the compliment.

Bill, Yup, I like stuff showing up in the mail, especially train stuff. As for the next/last layout, yes I am. I've always been intrigued by table top layouts. The old 4'x8' piece of plywood has been done thousands of times for decades. My room won't fit that size, no walk around, and let's face it, nothing new on this layout size. It has all been done. However, I think something 4'x6' would work. The key to this is not to use a plywood base and simply try to make nice scenery on a flattish layout with a few hills. I'm thinking of building a layout with high relief incorporating my standard no traditional fascia technique and doing all this to super fine detail. No time table for this new endeavor, but probably sooner than later. Layouts have a 14/15 month lifespan in my room. This last one will be it for me, so it has to be as close to perfect for me to step back from modeling. Jim :)

Sounds good. Looking forward to it. Whatever you decide to do, I bet it will be topnotch as usual. Mine is 12 yrs.old and still not finished. Had 10 yr. hiatus and just recently getting back in. Wife said I had too many hobbies and had to cut back so I decided to stay with my railroads Still too cold in my layout area. Pictures forthcoming as soon as it warms up a bit. My sergeant-at-arms(wife) won't let me go out there just yet. Bill:( HaHa

I know how all the interaction with the powers that be can work for us or against. Generally I've found that it is up to the modeler to solve these issues.

Tomorrow or Monday I will begin a new series on tree bark textures for those who may be interested. Jim:)

I know how all the interaction with the powers that be can work for us or against. Generally I've found that it is up to the modeler to solve these issues.

Haven't found the "don't tell me what I can or can't do" method works too well though. Got any suggestions?

Toot, Yes, I have a suggestion, NEVER use the phrase, "don't tell me what I can or can't do." If you never use it, then all things are possible. Jim:)

Back