Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Jim:
If you want to fishing for something other than bait, you ought to come up this way.:) I'm on the hunt next Tuesday....the tide is right for the rest of next week.
Let's hope my old bod is up to it......there is nothing sedate about it.

Jim, As you're taking down the trees I can hear "taps" playing in the background. And as they lay the ole' PMC&T away, a tear comes to my eye. But a new dawn will break even more glorious than the last. Sound pretty good. Anyway, on to bigger and better things. Enjoy your fishing trip, rest, relax and come back refreshed and ready to start the "Southern Division". We can't wait to see what you come up with. - Chris

Okay here's the deal. My doctor has me scheduled for a full body bone scan this coming Tuesday. I've not been feeling well for about six months. One way or another the layout is coming down. I hope I get a report from the doctor that allows me to build another. Hang with me on this. Jim:confused:

You and your railroad have touched many of us. Valuable information interspersed with wit, glee and grouseing from your readers. Above all a drive to educate us all. Our prayers are with you for good results on Tuesday and we hope you feel better soon.

I had one of those done earlier this year during a bout of severe inflamatory arthritis, which fortunately can be treated with pain killers. Hope yours is no worse. Make sure you're well prepared to lay very still for 25-30 mins at a time if they're doing the same test I had (sounds like it), otherwise not much to it. Hope the result is positive.

Jim, the main thing is you, the layout is secondary. Our prayers will be with you and your family. So get that scan, get better, and lets start a new layout. If you do start just remember to pace yourself, don't do too much too soon. Get well. -Chris

Thanks fellows. I'm trying to talk my wife into purchasing one of those tube type action cams to take some movies of the layout. Do any of you have any recommendations for something under $100? Jim

Here is a photo I just took this morning. Aptly named, Last Load. I'm still waiting for the camera, maybe today, from Hong Kong. Hope it works. Work should start on or near Oct. 1. Jim

Sorry no photo. Thanks, photobucket.

Mining_zpsa32511a1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it my imagination or what? Didn't you just recently FINISH this layout? And you are going to tear it down? That can't be right. I must have misunderstood.

I never thought of model railroads being like those Buddhist sand paintings that are made, then swept away... Your work is beautiful, and I find it poignant that you are now dismantling it, but if you have new ideas, I suppose you have to make room somehow.

The other night I was looking at posts on another RR forum by a guy whose layout from about 12 years ago in MR became the starting point for the design I am building now. It seems that he's built a huge number of layouts in the very same space in his home, tearing one out and replacing it every few years. O
n the one hand, it bummed me just to think of that. On the other, I am glad that he at least built the layout that I latched on to at all.. so it is with yours -- though I always find it sad to see a layout come down, I'm glad you built it at all, and understand the desire to move onward and upward...

Best wishes for your health and hope that the medical news is good...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jim,
Glad to see you back!
Stumbled onto your thread a few weeks ago with a search for LED lighting help. I have read every post because once I saw what you have done and the outstanding photography you do, I could not stop. Took me a while. I have a few years on you - still work 3 days a week at my profession and have a small orchard and garden in northern California – so not as much modeling time as I would like. Never did find the LED discussion, but never mind, I can find that elsewhere.
I hope your scan turned out ok, that your health issues are manageable and that your back pain does not stop you from the next exciting adventure on the Pinacle Creek (Southern Division) or whatever you decide to call it.
I’m building (with some modifications) some craftsman kits and starting a small layout after a 20 year hiatus. My main interests are scenery and electronics.
David Ulmer

fcwilt, Correct. This is layout number 5 in this room and like the others its days are numbered. I had an open house a couple of weeks ago and someone asked the same thing, "Didn't you just finish this?" I believe I've mentioned before that building and photography of the layouts is my thing. Trains are just a by product of the scenery building. I could have just as well done military scenery and stuff like that. I've always liked trains so trains just happen to have a small part in all this. I've taken all the photos of this layout I can, so, time to move on.

Erik, I thought the doctor would call me today. Not yet. I talked to his office staff yesterday so we'll see. I guess these layouts are bit like sand paintings. More skill in the monk's hands I'm thinking, but thanks anyway. Poignant is okay, but the word may be confused as mental health issues in my case. lol Not looking for glory or sympathy just another last layout to teach a few new skills and encourage others to 'get on with it!'

David, Glad you stopped by. If you are in your seventies then I hope you finally get going. While I tear 'em down quickly I'm always very satisfied when the building is finished. I recommend the feeling to all. Stay tuned. Jim

fcwilt, Very close to that painter I hope. I'm only doing this one last layout and then off to retirement................ Jim:cool:

Back